Gotta New Gun

Info, pictures, advice...
manwithagun

Gotta New Gun

Post by manwithagun »

Well, after reading some convincing posts over the past several months, I went out and bought myself a P-64. Just picked it up from my local gunshop with 2 mags and a cleaning rod. Got it off Gunbroker for $159 (delivery included). I think I did pretty good.
While I was waiting (waiting is something you get used to in the People's Republic of New Jersey) I ordered a 20# recoil spring and an 18# hammer spring. They arrived weeks before my permit. I've already replaced the recoil spring and am about to start tearing it down to replace the hammer spring. You guys weren't kidding about the awful trigger pull. I remember as a kid having to use both index fingers to squeeze off my dad's S&W Model 60... it feels kinds like that.
While I have it apart should I be smoothing any of the internals? I want to make it a slick little shooter. Thanks, Jim.
redfestiva

Gotta New Gun

Post by redfestiva »

manwithagun,
Welcome to the forum. I do'nt think you need to necessarily smooth anything. Most of these pistols are problem free from the beginning. Perhaps if you encounter a feed problem you could then polish the feed ramp but I would just give it a thorough cleaning and lube and see what you have first. Mine seems to shoot better and more reliably the more I shoot it. Enjoy your P-64.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Gotta New Gun

Post by carguy »

Congratulations of your new purchase.

Welcome to the forum.

My empathy from a People's Republic of Massachusetts resident.

I did the same 20# and 18# but had issues with the 20# recoil spring binding up and jamming the slide open. Jamming it so tight I had to hit it with a plastic hammer to free it. It started when I changed the recoil spring, happened somewhat regularly but not every shot, hasn't happened again since I put the original recoil spring back in.

I'm not suggesting that you do not change it out just be prepared in case something does happen you won't be surprised.

Good luck.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Gotta New Gun

Post by space »

Saw only one P64 today at a gun show in Concord, NH. They were asking $175.

One table had 5 P63's for 150-ish with a free box of ammo.

Silver Bear 9x18 ammo was selling for $10.95 / box :o

Sounds like you did pretty good.
Last edited by space on September 1st, 2007, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Gotta New Gun

Post by carguy »

Not to hijack this thread but I was at the same show as Space and saw CZ-52s for $170, Nagant revolvers for $125 and a CZ-82 for $195. Prices were somewhat high especially looking at their "average" condition (and what I can get them for with a C&R).

There was a nice variety of long guns there and lots of milsurp.

I saw my first shotgun made by boring out an Enfield rifle. That was really cool but scared me a little. I happen to be looking for either an inexpensive or an unusual shotgun...preferably an inexpensive unusual 20 gauge but didn't see anything that just grabbed me.

Nice show...if I lived in NH I'd be even more broke than I am now because I'd want one of everything. And NH has more "things" available than in MA. :'(
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Gotta New Gun

Post by blinddog »

BTW what is the pound rating of an origional recoil spring. 18 20 ro 22? I am still havingf the same problem with my slide locking up also. Like carguy it does'nt happen all of the time but it happens too often. Its my 68 and I really want it to work perfectly.
manwithagun

Gotta New Gun

Post by manwithagun »

Hey, any instructions on replacing the hammer spring? I looked in previous posts but couldn't locate a step-by-step. I'm proceeding anyway, in good ol' man fashion. Who needs instructions?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Gotta New Gun

Post by normsutton »

Last edited by normsutton on September 2nd, 2007, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Gotta New Gun

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome to the forum manwithagun!!

According to the Wolff site its an 18# factory standard.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/PolishNF.html

BTW what is the pound rating of an origional recoil spring. 18 20 ro 22? I am still havingf the same problem with my slide locking up also. Like carguy it does'nt happen all of the time but it happens too often. Its my 68 and I really want it to work perfectly.
Last edited by manicmechanic on September 1st, 2007, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manwithagun

Gotta New Gun

Post by manwithagun »

Thanks all. Got the new hammer spring in. Noticeably lighter but still heavy and scratchy pull. Heaviest just before it breaks. I think I'll take the time and pull it all apart so I can polish all the contact parts. It will probably work itself in as I shoot it but even with the new springs, pull is still horrendous! Heavy is OK as long as it is smooth. Now I'll work on making it smooth.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Gotta New Gun

Post by anjdrifter »

Hi carguy the shotgun from an enfield I understand it were made that way for either Indian or Pakistan prison guards at least that is what the ads say sometimes....hey welcome new addict to the site and good luck and good spending..
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Gotta New Gun

Post by himmel »

Hi carguy the shotgun from an enfield I understand it were made that way for either Indian or Pakistan prison guards at least that is what the ads say sometimes....hey welcome new addict to the site and good luck and good spending..
For guarding prisoners and foraging, I read somewhere... :)