New, considering a P64 for a CC or BUG

Info, pictures, advice...
specialk47150

Post by specialk47150 »

Hello all. First off, an intro. 19 years old, conservative, medical discharge out of Navy basic, and an avid firearm enthusiast. I own a HiPoint 995, a Mosin Nagant 91/30, and a Sig Sauer P245 that I OC.

I am looking for a gun to conceal carry and/or BUG. I was shown this link.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... &groupid=3

While doing some research I stumbled upon you all. I have some concerns that I would like addressed, to determine if the P64 is a suitable weapon.

First off, the DA trigger pull. Factory is in the 25 pound range?!?!? That is ridiculous, who can actually fire it in DA mode?

I saw a lot of people saying get Wolff springs. But the lightest you can get is 17 pounds. That is still ridiculous. Is there a way to get it in the 10-12 pound range?

Second would be a good IWB holster, that is tuckable, can't be a belt loop style.

Also, a good ankle holster, which I've seen a lot of posts on, so I should be fine there.

A holster that incorporate a mag carrier would be nice too. And not the one included, an IWB and an ankle.

Third is reliability and parts availability. Unlike with a keltec, I can't turn to the factory, and unlike a mak, parts aren't abundant AFAIK. Is this a reliable weapon?

Mainly though, that ridiculous trigger pull is scaring me off.
brock123

Post by brock123 »

With the 18 pound the trigger pull is a little heave but shootable.

This is the holster i just got iwb and it is tuckable

viewtopic.php?t=3132&start=15

A few people like the wolverine ankle holster

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/U ... tid=304333

I don't have any suggestions for one with a mag holder never looked into them.

Reliable it seems to be but I haven't had one very long. Just don't shoot wolf ammo and don't let your hammer come down hard when using the decocking safety and they say you should be ok and they are cheap enough to just buy two if need ;-)
boomer

Post by boomer »

The D/A trigger pull was designed into the pistol with a very hard hammer spring to facilitate use of the very hard primered 9 x 18 sub machine gun ammo. It is a 24 lb spring not trigger pull.

Reducing that spring to 19 or 20 lbs reduces the D/A dramatically and the single action pull just inside the margin of safety.

The gun is a clone of the long standing Walthers (Police Pistol,), PP and most holsters that fit it will most likely fit the P 64.

The pistols are War Surplus and there are NO replacement parts per say except for the Wolfe Springs. That said, the one you will receive will most likely be over 30 years old and tough as nails and built like a tank. It is a well crafted pistol. With normal care and use it should last you another 30 plus years. Wolf ammo is a No No as I am told by the more experienced members here and I take their word as the gospel. Norm and Dick know these little gems better than anyone else.
stover

Post by stover »

I bought a couple of these for mag carriers:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/origin ... ou-pp.aspx

They work great but look absolutely nothing like pictured. Basically looks like a black leather knife sheath only thinner. Use em for mak and p-64 mags.
specialk47150

Post by specialk47150 »

So what is the DA trigger pull then?
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I have a 1969 round hammer with a 20 pound recoil spring and a 19 pound hammer spring. I went with the 19 pound hammer spring because I use non-brass ammo.

The double action trigger pull is much better than with the stock spring and is managable.

I am very happy with my p-64 as my primary carry and it has been very reliable after I learned to hold it firmly and polished the feed ramp. I carry regular non-hp brown and silver bear ammo as a defensive round because I am mostly concerned with penetration.

I think the gun is a bit heavy for pocket carry but perfect for iwb as it is very thin.

Oh, and i use clipdraw which costs 20 bucks and is very comfortable.
Last edited by kurremkarm on February 12th, 2010, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
daytonaknight

Post by daytonaknight »

There is a limit to how weak you can make the mainspring. Since the same spring puts pressure on the magazine release, if you get too low, the mag will not lock in properly. I have heard of mag retention problems with lower than 18 Lbs. I have an 18 Lb spring in both of mine with no mag retention problems and DA is not bad at all. It's in the same range as my Bulgarian Mak.

The Crossbreed mentioned earlier is an excellent holster but they are molded to fit specific guns and unfortunately, they don't make one for a P64. The P64 is close in size and shape to a Walther PPK and some use the Crossbreed PPK holster for P64 carry even though it's not an exact match.

Dickfunk makes excellent all leather holsters that are molded to the P64. Check with him here in the forum or at usgunleather.com.

I personally use either a Don Hume H715-M open top IWB made for a PPK or a generic soft nylon with PPK in the 'fits' list. The Don Hume was a little tight at first but I put the gun in a sock and forced into the holster overnight to stretch it and now, it fits like a glove.
Last edited by daytonaknight on February 11th, 2010, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

With the Wollf springs the DA triggeR isn't any tougher than the DA pull on a snub nosed 38. SA is so light its almost scary. There are no parts available. Holsters are plentiful as most ppk holsters fit pe
rfectly.
John has a long mustache
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

I'm pretty sure the rating on the Wolff springs are the rate of the spring, expressed in pounds of force per inch of compression, and not the resultant trigger pull force. As others have said, the trigger pull with the Wolff spring is a bit stiff but smooth and manageable.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Carry the pistol decocked with one in the chamber, the double action pull is beautiful on the pistol with original springs, train by racking the slide and the pistol will do what it is supposed to if the situation arises. If your looking for a bug gun buy a Kel-Tec
P-32, very easy to carry and conceal and one hundred percent reliable. The pistole is simple to shoot accurately and rapidly, the gun also has the advantage of a ten round factory mag that dramatically improves handling.
Good luck with your selection.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on February 19th, 2010, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
robalan

Post by robalan »

I have had the P64 for a couple years. It is good for cc or b. The price for what you get is great!! The trigger pull, kick, and sights are the problems, but it will do what is needed when you most want it.

If you have the extra money buy a Sig P232 and put Crimson grips on it. That is the gun I usually cc. If I am doing some type of sports activity I use the P64. Sometimes it is nice to have a safety.
stover

Post by stover »

I installed an 18lbs hammer spring and had magazine issues. Would drop the magazine on the last round, sometimes. Even though I almost considered the auto mag drop a feature, I swapped it out for a 19lbs spring without any other issues. I need to buy a trigger scale, or fish scale, to measure the DA/SA trigger pull one of these days.
I can say, It is well below 19lbs for DA and on par with my Ruger SP101 double action revolver. Single action is quite nice but possibly too light for some.
For another comparison: Single action is nicer than my Makarovs (D.D.R. or Bulgie), double action is not quite as light as the Maks but smooth and breaks crisp. That means more than trigger weight to me, but I do want to measure it eventually.