Miss fire

All things ammo related.
Post Reply
Ludongwei
Posts: 3
Joined: January 13th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Miss fire

Post by Ludongwei » January 13th, 2019, 2:04 pm

:( has anyone had this happen and if so any ideas what would have caused it?
A451090B-F71E-48E3-9BC2-8C2294179129.jpeg

User avatar
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 2468
Joined: September 20th, 2011, 11:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Miss fire

Post by Curly1 » January 13th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Do any of your other casings have a bulge in them after firing?

There is a portion of the chamber that is not supported on the right side and can tend to have slight bulged cases upon ejection.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 1085
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 4:36 pm
Location: Wyoming, USA

Re: Miss fire

Post by Ketchman » January 13th, 2019, 3:18 pm

The shape of the case rupture leads me to believe this round had much higher than normal pressures, perhaps from a higher powder charge or bullet setback, and blew the casing out in the feed ramp area where the case is not fully supported. What make of ammo is this? PPU is noted as hot ammo and has quite a few instances of case bulging in this area. Hope you and your pistol are ok. I would not fire anymore rounds from this box / lot of ammo. Inspect them first at the very least and check for bullet setback. Do not fire them.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.

User avatar
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter
Posts: 649
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Location: Nothing permanent.

Re: Miss fire

Post by Weasel640 » January 13th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Ludongwei wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 2:04 pm
:( has anyone had this happen and if so any ideas what would have caused it?A451090B-F71E-48E3-9BC2-8C2294179129.jpeg
Yup, as others have said, it burst at the portion of the chamber that is not supported due to the feed ramp.

However more information would be very useful. What band ammo was this? Was it re-loaded? If so how hot, and how many times was the brass loaded?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.

GuitarmanNick
Member
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 10:04 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Miss fire

Post by GuitarmanNick » January 15th, 2019, 12:26 pm

From the picture, it looks like Fiocchi brand brass. It appears to be very thick where it came apart, so I doubt it was because of a flaw in case. I am gonna take a guess and say that the particular round had been chambered and ejected enough to push the bullet further into the casing than it should have been causing an over-pressure condition which took the path of least resistance where the casing is not supported.

If you are going to remove a chambered round, it is a good idea to place it down into the magazine and place another round on top to be chambered the next time. This will reduce the chances of one round taking too much abuse before firing and a good habit to form on semi-auto pistols where rounds are not tightly crimped at the neck. It is typical for the bullet to get setback into the case from contact with the feed ramp, and inertia. The movement is usually slight, but is cumulative and may lead to this if repeated too much.

I keep a box of rounds with each of my locked and loaded pistols. After ejecting a round, I usually grab a fresh round for the magazine and place the ejected round in a plastic tray. Rounds that end up in the tray, are fired at the next range outing. This habit gives me confidence that if I need to use one of my pistols in an emergency, it will function as intended.

As for brass cased ammo in the P-64, I use Red Army Elite. The case does not bulge much at all when fired in the P-64 and is great for reloading. PPU brass is absolutely terrible and I have not had a single case that was safe to reload. Luckily, I only bought 100 rounds of that. Of course, there are many brands of steel cased which work very well in unsupported chambers, but are not reloadable unless you want to mess up your dies.

Ludongwei
Posts: 3
Joined: January 13th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Re: Miss fire

Post by Ludongwei » January 16th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Great information thanks mate. I’ve been told to try Red Army ammo I be sure to try it

Ludongwei
Posts: 3
Joined: January 13th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Re: Miss fire

Post by Ludongwei » January 16th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Weasel640 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Ludongwei wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 2:04 pm
:( has anyone had this happen and if so any ideas what would have caused it?A451090B-F71E-48E3-9BC2-8C2294179129.jpeg
Yup, as others have said, it burst at the portion of the chamber that is not supported due to the feed ramp.

However more information would be very useful. What band ammo was this? Was it re-loaded? If so how hot, and how many times was the brass loaded?
Sounds about right the ammo Is Fiocchi I’ll be sure to check for bulges thanks so much for all the imput

BeoBill
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: March 16th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Miss fire

Post by BeoBill » March 3rd, 2019, 3:15 pm

Ludongwei wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 2:56 pm
Weasel640 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Ludongwei wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 2:04 pm
:( has anyone had this happen and if so any ideas what would have caused it?A451090B-F71E-48E3-9BC2-8C2294179129.jpeg
Yup, as others have said, it burst at the portion of the chamber that is not supported due to the feed ramp.

However more information would be very useful. What band ammo was this? Was it re-loaded? If so how hot, and how many times was the brass loaded?
Sounds about right the ammo Is Fiocchi I’ll be sure to check for bulges thanks so much for all the imput
Thought so. I've had hot PPU and Fiocchi rounds too. Not so much the latter, but still... RAS is my "go to."

Post Reply