Going to buy a 64

Info, pictures, advice...
Quickcat

Going to buy a 64

Post by Quickcat »

I am about to buy a P-64 and the store has several surplus guns to choose from. Can you recommend specific P-64 items to examine for material condition before buying? I will be looking at slide wear, bore condition, and overall material condition to hopefully pick the best of the lot. I will appreciate any guidance.

Matt
MakAttack

Re: Going to buy a 64

Post by MakAttack »

Some people find the newer (1972+) ones more desirable because of the trigger and hammer updates.
Quickcat

Post by Quickcat »

Can you explain the changes?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

This is the only info I found. "The trigger mechanism was slightly modified and the hammer spur was enlarged."
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
staff3704

Post by staff3704 »

I own a 1974 that looks almost brand new and I like it. I guess you know the double action trigger pull is terrible but the single action pull is fine.
Quickcat

Post by Quickcat »

I noticed the double action pull when I checked it out at the store the first time. At that time I thought it was just a cheap and poorly designed piece. Regardless of my first impression I started doing research and now understand the hard trigger pull and the fix for it. I am looking forward to getting a 64.

Matt
staff3704

Post by staff3704 »

My first test firing I had no problems but the safety was very hard to put on and take off. When I broke it apart at home the gun showed no real wear. So I worked on the safety plunger,spring ,and detents. I left the safety a little stiff because I had read (on this site) that some worn out guns the safety would fall down (safety on) when fired. Hope everything works out for you.