My P64 Bit Me!!!!

Info, pictures, advice...
pursuit

My P64 Bit Me!!!!

Post by pursuit »

While at the range for the first time my P64 BIT me on the web between my trigger finger and thumb (hammer pinch). Has this happened to anyone else and are there grips to help with this???
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My P64 Bit Me!!!!

Post by dfunk »

I know this type of Walther-bite has happened to a few, but it's not as common as it is with a PPK.
Try throwing a set of Dennis' grips on there and see if that doesn't make it a bit easier for you to get your mitts wrapped around the gun safely.
http://www.marschalgrips.com/?id=p64resource
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Norm suggested using a piece of bicycle tire inner-tube. That's much cheaper than a set of $55 grips. However, the wood would make it rather nice looking ;)!
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

It's not about how it looks or about getting a better grip, it's about increasing the size of the grip to allow the hand to sit slightly lower and out of the way of the slide.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I've heard lots of good things about his grips. I say buy a set. Either that or bite it back.

;)
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

Houge Handall Jr @ $5.70 from Sportsmen's Guide (Amazon) has a finger groove. The bike tire works okay but I prefer the finger groove. I buy them 2 at a time - if you don't you'll certainly rip the only one you have when you put it on.
vimes

Post by vimes »

irishbob979 wrote:Houge Handall Jr @ $5.70 from Sportsmen's Guide (Amazon) has a finger groove. The bike tire works okay but I prefer the finger groove. I buy them 2 at a time - if you don't you'll certainly rip the only one you have when you put it on.
I too was "bitten" by the p64. :D It was actually after I put one one of the Handall Jr's on, but I think I had it up just a tad too high, thus "encouraging" me to grip it a little high.

I do think it's a very nice addition, just test it for fit (especially your middle finger position above the groove) as you slide it up. Also, heating it up with boiling water (or hair dryer) per the instructions seems to help with getting it on.

I think I have it in the right spot now and I just grip the gun a little lower than I normally would and all is fine. Maybe my hand is just getting used to the battering. :)
jtpur

Post by jtpur »

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and have taken it to the range a couple of times. I find it to be a big bang gun and although it did not bite my hand, it darn sure bruised it...after 50 rounds I was sure I was done shooting it. I liked its accuracy. The Makrov round seems to be plenty potent...I have not garnered a complete trust of it and still do not carry it, and probably wont until I find it does not jam or stove pipe,or do those other things semi autos seem to do. I had one misfire but Im sure it was because I did not properly seed a round in the magazine, and I got one misfeed.....Me not the gun I think.
Don Bennett

Post by Don Bennett »

I wonder if Zee could make a grip to cure this?
boomer

Post by boomer »

If you think the P 64 bites just wait until you meet the Walthers PP and PPK. They are the world most famous hand biters.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

If all else fails pursuit, you may just have to put 'er down. :mrgreen: No sense in having a gun that bites. Let me know if you decide to dispose of the pistol. Ha-ha! ;)
boomer

Post by boomer »

It only bites when I feed it.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

boomer wrote:It only bites when I feed it.
You might have to starve it a bit to show it who's the alpha male. :lol:
boomer

Post by boomer »

I am that's why I am toting the P 64. It cost way less to feed too! They share the same holsters so that makes it real easy.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

After i polished my feed ramp I have never had an issue with feeding. I put a 20 then a 22 pound recoil spring and i like the 22. I trust my gun and carry it daily.