Best solvent/cleaner for bore?

Info, pictures, advice...
japanesegunguy

Best solvent/cleaner for bore?

Post by japanesegunguy »

Is Hopps # 9 still one of the best solvents to clean my bore? Suggestions? Thanks in advance
The Second Amendment, America's Original Homeland Security
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Best solvent/cleaner for bore?

Post by juniustaylor »

boomer suggests that you don't due to the ammonia in the Hoppes #9. If it gets under the chrome, it can eat the copper that clads the chrome to the steel. Then your chrome lining will start peeling off. Makes sense. They do recommend you don't use it on plated guns for that reason. Also, avoid using it on aluminum as well. Try using a more mild cleaner w/out ammonia in it.

There are few ways of doing chrome plating, so I don't know which method was employed on the lining of these barrels. However, it's definitely best to play it safe and use something like Rem-Oil to do the cleaning. Some of the other folks may have a different cleaner to use, hopefully they'll reply soon and let you know what they use.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I've used Hoppes #9 in my bore - it's fine. Just don't dip your whole gun in the stuff and walk away.
I have read that it can penetrate through flaws to get to the copper, especially on nickel plated guns. As a bore cleaner, I think it's fine. But that's my $.02
boomer

Post by boomer »

I would advise against it. The chrome lined barrel does not need anything ammonia based or that strong. In it's day when we used lead only bullets, Hoppes was great for cleaning lead deposits out of steel bores. Most modern ammunition is now jacketed so there is just about zero lead build up. Factor in the chrome lining of a military bore and cleaning is a snap and can even be done with a dry patch.

Break Free is the Mil Spec for our Military and functions as a cleaner, lubricant and protector. That said, I use Marvel Mystery Oil ( Kerosene ) as a cleaner and Mobile One as a lubricant in all my weapons. Molly wheel bearing grease on the slide rails is also a good if you like grease. There are no special refineries for gun oils and lubricants and spending $10.00 for a one once bottle Synthetic Gun Oil is crazy when Mobile One is the same exact stuff for $5.00 a quart.

This is my .02 Cents for what it is worth!
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

I was using Hoppes #9 on my P-64s, more recently I've been using Kleen Bore Formula 3 with good results. It simplifies things by cleaning, lubricating and preventing rust in one operation.
jamestday

Post by jamestday »

I've been using Gunslick Bore Cleaner Foam on my P64 and other guns. Seems to work very well. Any warnings or cautions with this product for a P64?
Headless Norseman

Post by Headless Norseman »

Anyone ever try or heard of weapon shield? Been using it on my AMD-65, seems to work well
boomer

Post by boomer »

So will Mobile One and it is $5.00 a QUART not $10.00 an OUNCE for the same stuff.

They are both just a High Detergent Synthetic Oil.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Well for lube, I've used Militec-1 with awesome results. But again, just for lube - not for corrosion protection.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I generally use either Break Free or Gunzilla.
texhealer

Post by texhealer »

boomer wrote:I would advise against it. The chrome lined barrel does not need anything ammonia based or that strong. In it's day when we used lead only bullets, Hoppes was great for cleaning lead deposits out of steel bores. Most modern ammunition is now jacketed so there is just about zero lead build up. Factor in the chrome lining of a military bore and cleaning is a snap and can even be done with a dry patch.

Break Free is the Mil Spec for our Military and functions as a cleaner, lubricant and protector. That said, I use Marvel Mystery Oil ( Kerosene ) as a cleaner and Mobile One as a lubricant in all my weapons. Molly wheel bearing grease on the slide rails is also a good if you like grease. There are no special refineries for gun oils and lubricants and spending $10.00 for a one once bottle Synthetic Gun Oil is crazy when Mobile One is the same exact stuff for $5.00 a quart.

This is my .02 Cents for what it is worth!
Wow, I've worked on old cars my whole life. Marvel mystery oil and Molly grease are staples around here, and since I bought our second VW last fall we have two cars using synthetic motor oil...I'm stoked. No more high dollar, designer packaging for me! :D

Thanks for the tip.