New P64 owner!

Info, pictures, advice...
Farmer

New P64 owner!

Post by Farmer »

I have been lurking for a week or so trying to decide if I really wanted to buy a P64. One of the things I have noticed is all the posts about the P 64's hard double action trigger pull. I had it in my mind that it was probably a little stiff but that there must be some embellishment on the subject. I mean really how hard could it be. Well UPS dropped my P64 off the other day and all I can say is, I apologize for ever doubting any of you. WOW that is one stiff trigger! Even with my big ham hands I had all I could do to pull it back and keep the front sight on target. When I got back from the range I promptly ordered new springs. Other than the trigger pull I find the gun a real pleasure to shoot and carry. It's a very handy and fun little gun.
deltacornbread

Re: New P64 owner!

Post by deltacornbread »

Farmer wrote:I have been lurking for a week or so trying to decide if I really wanted to buy a P64. One of the things I have noticed is all the posts about the P 64's hard double action trigger pull. I had it in my mind that it was probably a little stiff but that there must be some embellishment on the subject. I mean really how hard could it be. Well UPS dropped my P64 off the other day and all I can say is, I apologize for ever doubting any of you. WOW that is one stiff trigger! Even with my big ham hands I had all I could do to pull it back and keep the front sight on target. When I got back from the range I promptly ordered new springs. Other than the trigger pull I find the gun a real pleasure to shoot and carry. It's a very handy and fun little gun.
Look at that xtra hard double action as sorrt of another safety.
:wink: :wink: Welcome to the P64's. As you have discovered there weakness, enjoy all there strong points. Not a gun to shoot all day, but dang sure makes a very good CCW.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Farmer,

Welcome aboard, good to have ya with us. +1 with deltacornbread, I treat the somewhat heavy DA as a safety, I never changed the springs in any of my P-64's but I know some that are glad they did, my son in law could barely pull the trigger on the one I gave him and I thought it was mild so its all in the shooter, so be it, however, the more you shoot your P-64 the better the DA will become.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Just for everyone's info SOG no longer is shipping holsters with the P64. They emailed me that they had ran out when I ordered my gun. They still ship with cleaning rod and two mags.
former_usmc

Post by former_usmc »

Farmer, did you pay the extra 10 for a hand pick? I ordered a week ago and they were already out of holsters. I picked it up Sunday and mine is a 1969, but haven't shot it yet. It was soaked in mineral spirits for 8 hours, then cleaned and lubed, and now she's ready to go. It has a few spots of holster marks and though I didn't pay for the hand pick, I wonder if the $10 was worth it. Please post up some pics of yours!
Joe

I'd say 90% are saying, We all know it's fake; we're playing along. The other 10% are saying, We're ready! And I'd say 10% of that 10% can't wait for it to happen.
Max Brooks on Zombies to CNN
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I think hand select is a hit or miss deal. It's like playing the lottery. You can win big or not at all. I've saw folks get nice hand picks and I've saw some "not so nice" hand picks. It must depend on if the stock is getting to the bottom of the barrel. A good friend of mine bought a P-83 and paid hand select fee. They sent it to him all carbon fouled and a piece or two missing. They were minor parts for the cartridge indicator mechanism but come on! You're paying $10 for them to pick the best one out of 5 and they missed it. So, it sometimes is just a scam to get more money out of you. Heck, $10 would have bought a box of 50 rounds. I just bought a CZ-82 from Aim Surplus today. I did not pay $10 but I think I'll get a decent looking one. So far I've saw no bad comments regarding Aim's CZ's. I will find out later in the week when I get it. Fingers crossed!
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

After a few years of buying milsurp guns online I too have lost faith in the "hand select" process. I usually pay the extra $10 but the results are, as juniustaylor accurately described it, hit or miss. I might receive a brand new gun or one in just average condition, it seems to be purely luck of the draw.

When you think about it, how would someone hand select one gun over the others when they're all slathered in cosmoline and crud? Unless all 5 have been cleaned up there's really no way to tell imho.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I did go for the hand pick. I normally don't, I don't know why I did this time. The only bad spot I had was a small scratch on the decocking lever.

I have to agree with the other posters. Hand picked is really hit or miss. I like a rating system like some vendors have. Something along the lines of good, very good, excellent and unissued.
OwenS

Post by OwenS »

New P-64 owner as well. Been lurking a while, so I've changed out the springs in my pistol, gave it a nice fluff&buff, and now carry it in an ankle holster as backup. For reliability and accuracy in a small cost-effective package, the P-64 is hard to beat! :D