Info, pictures, advice...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: P64 RECOIL

Post by dfunk »

GeneCC wrote:
RobsTV wrote:
rickn8or wrote:Seeing some factory cases bulged with commercial P-64 ammo, makes me wonder if some are a little on the Hot side, perhaps even hotter than the above.
The Silver Bears DO NOT bulge. They do get kind of smoky. I pick up all ejected up to look at them for pressure signs.
I've had Silver Bears bulge on me before. I think it was in 2006 when most of us were relatively new to the platform.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

DF
that was 115 grn bullets you were firing and it was silver bear , that was right after I became a member here, remember it well

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

robchart wrote:I am trying to figure out which weight springs to order for the P-64. I've heard that replacing the recoil spring doesn't help much. I cannot even pull the trigger back in DA, but would a #18 spring change tis problem. Love the gun, don't want to part with it.

I have the 17lb hammer spring and that works fine.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

Curly, have you had any problems with the mags releasing while firing?

Getting ready to order some hammer springs, and trying to decide between 17 & 18#.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

No mags stay in.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

rickn8or, I've had the 17# spring in mine for about 4 years now. I've never had any issues with magazines popping loose when firing. Never had any issues with the hammer force being insufficient to set the primer off. That being said, all P-64's are different. You'll just have to try it out for yourself and see what yours will do. I had a 18# spring in mine just to see if I liked it a bit more than the 17# and it was blah. I immediately switched back to the 17#.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

normsutton wrote:DF
that was 115 grn bullets you were firing and it was silver bear , that was right after I became a member here, remember it well

NORM
I think you're right, Norm. I was pretty concerned when it happened at the time.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

The Hammer Spring is what affects the weight of the trigger pull, not the Recoil Spring.

However, in a "simple blowback" design, the Hammer Spring does actually act as a partial recoil damper by bleeding off energy to recock the hammer. In this case, a heavier hammer spring means less energy that the Recoil Spring must deal with. So if you replace the Hammer Spring with a lighter one it might be a good idea to put an increased strength Recoil Spring on.

In my case, a lighter Hammer Spring did make a significant difference in trigger pull weight.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
kyrpa

Post by kyrpa »

New shooter here, today was my first time shooting my P64. Recoil was not pretty, but my only frame of reference is my Walther P22 which by comparison felt like a fly landing on my hand. Put 100 rounds thru the P64, have a nice bruise between my thumb and index finger, but I loved shooting it. I'll look into the spring swap and see what kind of difference it makes.
cjkoz1975

Post by cjkoz1975 »

I also finally shot my P64 for the first time the other day. I didn't find the recoil to be nearly as bad as I anticipated from what I've read. However on the last shot I took with it for the day the slide did bite the web of hand.
rc_flyer

Post by rc_flyer »

I just shot my P-64 today. 100 rounds of the black bear ammo and it was fine for me. One thing that I did use though was my leather motorcycle gloves with the padding on the heal of the hand. This made it very comfortable to shoot. Just an idea.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Was the Black Bear a special edition? I'm only teasing! That's awesome. :)
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have used the padded gloves also but abandoned them as I do carry it and propbably won't be wearing gloves if needed in CCW.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary