a gun to refinish

Use this section for all other firearms
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

a gun to refinish

Post by carguy »

Hey Papabear cut the crap...anjdrifter and I are screwing around and you go and bring it back to guns... :'(

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread... I can't believe the variety of "stuff" Norm posted off of Gunbroker that needs refinishing. Some of those are cool and something I'd consider...once I finish my 91/30 and the MAS I hope to get next week!!! :)

Trent I'd keep an eye on those auctions, there were some cool guns there and I'm sure you could hurt the value by your attempt at refinishing...probably even increase it. ;D
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

a gun to refinish

Post by anjdrifter »

Hey refinish anything you feel like it is your hard earned money.. and to almost quote a esteemed poet of the fifities ..
"it's my party and I'll dance if I want to."
I am looking at a Beretta to refinish is that against the law?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

a gun to refinish

Post by carguy »

only in ItaLY... :P
volfandan

a gun to refinish

Post by volfandan »

Trent,

If you had only posted this question 2 days earlier!!!!!!

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/Displ ... =8249709.0

Keep searching, and don't get too impatient....one will pop up.
volfandan

a gun to refinish

Post by volfandan »

may want to keep an eye on this one too:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8284267
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

a gun to refinish

Post by trent »

oh yea I'm being as patient as an...uh... well I'm being pretty patient, I'm waiting on a few auctions to end, (one ends today at 5pm) and I've been calling around to different stores, on a lead someone gave me over the phone I called every Gander mountain store in Ohio lol, but since that company only ships to other gander mountains (there are none in GA) it didn't matter anyway, but I'm patiently checking various forums, auction sites and online businesses looking for that ever elusive deal, those makarovs and various .32's are neat, I'll add them to my watch list (yes I've created a watch list...)

I tell you whoever posted something about the Box o Truth did this to me, I found their instructions on refinishing guns and now I'm obsessed... :D
Last edited by trent on October 13th, 2007, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

a gun to refinish

Post by carguy »

sorry :'(
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

a gun to refinish

Post by trent »

it's ok, I deserve it after I kept sending you those links with the smith and wessons
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

a gun to refinish

Post by trent »

ok, I snoozed too long and missed bidding on the makarov by about 30 seconds >:(, but I just bid and won this http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82959189, it looks like it needs some TLC, and would be good practice with refinishing!
Last edited by trent on October 20th, 2007, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

a gun to refinish

Post by normsutton »

Trent

I think you did real good there if I remember right I think some of the parts are inter changeable with the colt 1911 can't remember witch though

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
saands

a gun to refinish

Post by saands »

Trent:

Nicely played! The extractor is obviously not a GI 1911 part :) ... but all the rest of the pins and parts appear to be in the right (1911) place. I imagine that someone out there will have cataloged the compatibility with the 1911. This will be a fun little project and the 45 is a nice all around caliber.

Saands
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

a gun to refinish

Post by carguy »

Nice pick up Trent! I love the 45acp round and if that is anything like a Colt yeeeee haaaaaa...gonna have some fun.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

a gun to refinish

Post by trent »

Thanks guys, I did some digging around and found this http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=7552, looks like a lot of the important parts exchange (some guy further down claims almost all but the grips exchange) so I'm simultaneously pleased that some parts exchange and also confused if that list is all inclusive or not
Last edited by trent on October 20th, 2007, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

a gun to refinish

Post by trent »

ok I've got the ball rolling, paid for the gun, ordered some rosewood grips (15.00) and ordered some parkerizing solution, I may be "jumping the gun" here but I figure that I'll get it all ready for it's arivial.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

a gun to refinish

Post by trent »

hey guys I'm looking for something to remove all the oils from the gun after I clean it up (haven't gotten it yet by the way) the Box o truth guys used Trisodium phosphate, I'm not sure where (locally) I could get any, does anyone know what places (if any) sell that kind of stuff and if there are any other chemicals I should look for that will do the same?

Thanks