Year Question

Info, pictures, advice...
MrStark

Year Question

Post by MrStark »

I just got a 1971 P64 in great shape and wanted to get the skinny on the production dates...are there any perks to owning an older gun versus a new model despite the obvious of it being older and more valuable? Were there any major production changes made after a certain year? Any Help would be appreciated!
fully machined

Re: Year Question

Post by fully machined »

Nice pistol. I like the round hammers best. I believe they respond better to new springs. The really hard effort on a slow pull back, at the very end before let off, in da is not as noticable on round hammers in my opinion. I believe I have read every thread on here. I became overwhelmed with info and began asking myself questions. so I did a fun post. See my post on "fun info" and fun answers. Long and short firing pins go with the correct hammer type, an early and late magazine, a safety spring change. a trigger bar change, and some more that I can not remember ------

Enjoy your new pistol and this GREAT forum--long live the P-64!!!!!
MrStark

Post by MrStark »

Thanks for the reply..I will check out your post for sure. Your answer begs a question however; which year model started the round hammers? :)))

Thanks!!
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

O.K. this is from one of Norm's post:

(The following information was provided to the Forum by a member in Poland, "Bartos"! Bartos has been a very valuable member in making previously unknow information about the P-64 available to us. He is also a member of the Polish Military in an Airborn Division. The information about the Variations are as follows:

First variations was made from 1964 to 1971 it has round hammer
Second variations was made from 1971 to 1973 it has modified hammer(but still round) and trigger bar( changes are only seen when do you compare two types of parts )
From 1972 this version has "A" stamp on the left side of pistol.
Third variations was made from 1973 to 1977 when the last one was produced . It has triangle hammer.

There was one more variation - In 1967 were made a few for 9mm short. In Poland are known two pistols in this caliber at the moment. I think that the rest were destroyed like many others weapon in Poland )
this is from this thread http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1570

the other thing is the round hammer has a longer firing pin
MrStark

Post by MrStark »

Very cool, thanks man.

I checked out your fun questions/answers thread btw and made a .doc out of it for quick reference. I have a FFL 03 and am an avid collector and novice gunsmith, so it will be helpful.

I picked up 5 boxes some Monarch FMJ ammo today at Academy and did a quick test fire before it got dark..gun ran like a champ, ZERO issues with 3 mags...shoots about 4" high at 7 yards, so with a 6 o'clock hold, it is dead on. I think I am going to like this gun...even though it is puny, it is what we call in Security work a "7 Yard Gun"...at 7 yards, who cares what kind of gun you have, as long as you have it and can hit with it!!! :))
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

PUNY--That is hallarious!!! A friend of mine calls those old cheap 25 autos "migit guns" I guess it depends which end you are on.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

It's all about shot placment no matter the caliber.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
MrStark

Post by MrStark »

fully machined wrote:PUNY--That is hallarious!!! A friend of mine calls those old cheap 25 autos "migit guns" I guess it depends which end you are on.
Very true...being on the business end of any gun is a bad day, trust me.

As I said above, from everything I have seen in my life, both in military and private security, most gunfights occur at "bad breath distance"..so having any gun at this range is sufficient as long as you have drilled with it enough to be deadly. I believe it was Cooper who said "Any gun will do, as long as YOU will do."

BTW...I only call the P-64 it puny because my everyday gun is a G21 or G30!!

Shot placement is HUGE also I would agree, placing your shot to STOP the guy from doing what he is doing... but in my work and training I see alot of people who make way too big a deal out of accuracy, almost to the point where they forget about the other fundamentals, like MOVEMENT and COVER...and this of course comes from trainers bringing the competition world into combat shooting...you have to remember that shooting is a continuum, meaning that there is time and place for every skill...from my experiences, and you can watch most any police dashcam video to see this, people do not stand still to get shot at..they MOVE quickly (this includes the shooter!) Also, firing through the presentation of the gun and shooting one handed are skills I have used and teach.

When I was in the military, we learned a technique that was quite useful and fast when clearing houses (MOUT) at ECQ and CQ distances; under 21 ft say, you can "super-impose" the frame of the gun on the target and get combat accurate hits on center mass..this dovetails extremely well with Combative Pistol..where learning to fight "up close and personal" is reality...the other principle of combative concepts is that they are utilitarian, meaning, I can use them with empty hand, knife, stick or gun...as a sidebar, while training with the AK, the concept of super imposing the front sight aperture on the target works great at 15 yards and in for quick shots.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Why worry about magazine capacity in the P-64 when you can "New York reload." Two is good.
MY P-64 is petite. Note the mammoth PA-63 to the right.

P64 015.jpg