New P-64 owner

Info, pictures, advice...
hill922

New P-64 owner

Post by hill922 »

New to the p-64 group and have bought the wolff spring pack. I understand where the recoil spring and hammer spring go, but am unsure about the other spring that's with the recoil spring. What is it - firing pin spring?

Two other questions: Why shouldn't you use wolf ammo? and Where can I get some grips that will help reduce recoil?

Thanks

Hill
darrell

New P-64 owner

Post by darrell »

That is the firing pin spring that comes with the recoil spring. You don't need to change it out. You can get custom grips made by Marishal grips. He is located in Europe and I have only heard positive things about him. Hogue Handall Jr. grips help a lot. I think that the Hogue grips do more than the recoil spring for the P-64. The extra strength recoil springs are more effective in the PA-63 than P-64. I would shoot it stock before I change anything. It is pretty shootable stock. The recoil hurts after a while.
Some people have had problems with Wolf ammo. I use it occasionally and have not had a problem. Wolf Gold is a good ammo though. S&B, Winchester and Fiocchi are probably the best quality in my opinion.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New P-64 owner

Post by normsutton »

Hill

there are no parts for these guns , that's why you shouldn't use wolf ammo in them,

darrell
wolf doesn't make any gold ammo in the 9 x18 all wolf gold ammo is loaded by
Prvi Partizan and its great ammo, why buy wolf ammo when you can get Prvi Partizan ammo

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
crow

New P-64 owner

Post by crow »

hill922 wrote:New to the p-64 group and have bought the wolff spring pack. I understand where the recoil spring and hammer spring go, but am unsure about the other spring that's with the recoil spring. What is it - firing pin spring?

Two other questions: Why shouldn't you use wolf ammo? and Where can I get some grips that will help reduce recoil?

Thanks

Hill
COngrats! I put a Hogue handall jr on mine, and it helped with the recoil quite a bit. Well, not the recoile really, just the impact the recoil has on your hand..lol..Make sure the grips are smooth where the seam is on the backstrap. Mine had some sharp points back there and it cut my hand the first few rounds I shot it. I took some sandpaper and ground it down smooth. No more blood when I shoot..lol :P
hill922

New P-64 owner

Post by hill922 »

Norm,

I've got some brown bear, silver bear, Lellier &Bellott (brass) and probably too much wolff. I know wolff is really dirty ammo, but what other problems? I've shot in my makorov and CZ 82 and the p-64. Sounds like I need to get rid of the wolff.
Thanks for your help with this
paulski

New P-64 owner

Post by paulski »

A gunsmith on another forum I frequent found multiple rounds of Wolf 7.62x39mm with the primers MASHED in sideways. :o

Another guy just found a bunch of 7.62x39mm with a but-load of unmarked tracers mixed in.

Both were dumbfounded when they noticed this.
The second guy bought out his shop, in hopes that he could pick out the tracers... Good luck with that.

Wolf seems to have some major Q.C. issues. ???

I'm with Norm here.
I'll avoid Wolf. ;)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New P-64 owner

Post by normsutton »

I have worn against wolf ammo on many web sites , and get tried of warning people about it do a search on it ,just take my word for it

these are from some of the post

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=117073

I didn't want to get in to it about Wolf ammo some people get lucky with it, others not so lucky , fried firing pin's, blown out extractors , don't know what kind of powder they are using it doesn't smell right that should tell you something is miss right there

shooting wolf ammo is like putting balled tires on a corvette sooner or later your going to get a blow out and its going to be expensive

I'll shoot all others but I prefer my own reloads

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
darrell

New P-64 owner

Post by darrell »

You are right Norm. I should have been a little clearer. I have used Wolf twice, once when I got a box with the gun and another time when that was all they had on the range with no problems but that was probably more luck than anything else. I have some Wolf Gold in 7.62 x 25 which I have found be good ammo. I believe if you can afford it, you probably should use S&B, Winchester, Fiocchi or other high quality ammo. Silver Bear is pretty dirty and you get a lot of soot when you clean it. My P-64 won't even chamber Hornaday hollowpoints and won't reliably shoot Silver Bear hollow points. I have some Pow'r Ball for serious stuff.
hill922

New P-64 owner

Post by hill922 »

Everyone,

Thanks for the insite of Wolf ammo, guess I'll just put it on the back shelf for a dire emergency and will buy somehting a little better. I've found the Hornaday HP will not feed into my CZ82.

Thanks again.
Hill
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New P-64 owner

Post by normsutton »

S&B, Winchester are the same ammo , S&B loads 9 X 18 for Winchester

Hornaday HP , I hand load it works fine in all my 9 x 18 pistols , the bullet just needs to set back in the case a little

I prefer shooting lead rounds and when I carry a 9X18 I carry lead rounds .

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

New P-64 owner

Post by papabear »

hill922,

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya with us, I avoid all Wolf ammo too, as far as I'm concerned Wolf ammo its floor sweep ammo, their QC is very poor.
POINT SHOOTER