Spare parts storage

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
jatku1

Spare parts storage

Post by jatku1 »

Greetings all,

I have both a P-64 and a P-82. I'm currently upgrading, replacing worn-out parts, and general customizing. I have a two-part query for the forum:
1. How do you store spare parts? A big grab bag? organized fishing-lure type box? Pictures (for bragging rights) would be appreciated.

2. As I've been getting parts, I've wondered if I should start getting two of each to have one for a replacement. That aside, what parts would the forum recommend I get extra spares of? It would greatly reduce shipping if I got them together...

Cheers!
Jason
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Spare parts storage

Post by Curly1 »

There was a discussion here on parts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5052
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jatku1

Post by jatku1 »

I read that discussion, but with only 3 posts it wasn't very informative. I'm more interested in how you keep and store parts. What sort of containers, oil, etc does everyone use?
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Small stuff just keep in a ziploc type bag. Spray some oil in there and it will be good.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

+1 On Ziploc bags. You can get them assorted in small to large sizes. Get the ones with the white strip like the ones pictured below, it makes it easier to label what that part is. You can find these in craft stores/sections or you can order them by the 100s to 1000s for pretty cheap (cheaper than a fishing-lure box). The small ones can be stored in the larger ones label by what gun they came out of.

2.) I'd say any spring with a detent (get both the spring and detent). These things are known to go flying (hence the reason many people work on dis/assembly within a clear bag. Normally when they do go flying, you end up finding them after many pain staking hours crawling on the floor with a flashlight.

As you've gathered from the other thread, it's hard to predict what parts will break. But I'd say the spings are the most likely to go missing or get worn out.

You can also do a search through the forum for the term "broken" and see what people have reported or asked for help with. Here is one I limited to the "Modifications, Fixes, and Repairs" section. Here is another one limited to the "Other 9x18's" section.

Also if you go to the "goods" tab of the main page you'll see that Norm Sutton is selling Trigger Return Springs and Slide Stop Springs. Those break, wear out, and go missing too.

Another idea that I had; Anything that you might want to modify you might want a stock spec replacement on hand. I.E. I plan on bobbing my hammer, so before hand I ordered a replacement hammer (from laukart in Poland). That way if the mod goes wrong, I still have a hammer for my P-64.

Hope this helped a little bit more. Bag pic below:

Last edited by Weasel640 on July 6th, 2015, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Oh, Also I know some people like to use key/toe style tags like the ones below. But I'm not a fan of those on gun parts.

ImageImageImage
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I use the real tiny plastic sealable bags for small parts. Then have them in a small plastic container.
I don't have that many parts but if I did I would use one of those plastic parts contianers.

http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-5807-Pl ... 00BQSU0K/2

I also found that the plastic containers that pencil lead refills come in are great for small screws and springs.

http://www.pensnmore.com/pentel-arts-8- ... 2bp8m.aspx
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jatku1

Post by jatku1 »

Excellent, thanks Weasel and Curly!
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

I find these to be exceptionally useful and dirt cheap:

http://www.harborfreight.com/toolbox...ers-68238.html
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Page no longer available Cat :(
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

I think this was the link intended:
http://www.harborfreight.com/toolbox-or ... 68238.html

If it breaks again, just search www.harborfreight.com by the item number: 68238

Weasel