P64 Safety Detent

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mb3

P64 Safety Detent

Post by mb3 »

So I was playing around in my garage today and decided to try and fit a Walther new style safety detent to my P64. The diameter is a perfect match, but the OAL and configuration was wrong. So, I chucked up the walther part in my drill press, and covered he portion I didnt want to cut with black sharpie. Then I used a dremel cutting wheel and ran it perpandicular to the rotating walther detent until I cut in enough to move the back edge up similar to the P64's detent. Then I made a perpandicular cut to shorten the remaining shank. The result: two crude detents that function check, fit, in my P64. First one took two hours, second one 2 min. I will have to test them on the range.
Attachments
First one next to Walther detent
First one next to Walther detent
Two completed before shortening shank
Two completed before shortening shank
mb3

Re: P64 Safety Detent

Post by mb3 »

Just wanted to update this post. I have attached a picture (l to r) of my original P64 safety detent, an old style unmodified PPK safety detent, and one of the new style PPK safety detent I modified for P64 use. Just above the detente are a PPK extractor detent spring, and below it a P64 detent spring. I thought I would post this for anyone looking to find a missing replacement part for your P64.
Attachments
20200111_105739.jpg
20200111_105739.jpg (198.15 KiB) Viewed 4347 times