Please help! Trigger not re-setting

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Chuck DeVoid

Please help! Trigger not re-setting

Post by Chuck DeVoid »

I also posted this in the General Discussion. Anxious for help....

I just today picked up my P-64 from Gander Mountain. I live in NYS, so had to go through the amendment process. Excited about getting a new toy..

I had already ordered replacement recoil and mainspring from Wolff. With the help of the excellent information here and videos by Saysonny, replacing the mainspring with an 18# spring was a snap. I also carefully cleaned up all the excess oil and dirt. No problems...

PROBLEM: Testing the single action trigger pull (cocking the hammer manually and pulling the trigger), sometimes I can pull the trigger all the way through and it does not trip the hammer. Then if I release the trigger and pull again, it will trip. It just skips tripping the hammer. I can also rack the slide manually to set the hammer back and create the same problem.

The only change made is the 18# mainspring, however this problem could have existed before but I just didn't play with the gun enough in the store to notice it. It does not happen every time, sometimes one in every cycles.

Anyone else experience this? Is it a result of the mainspring change? (I bought the Wolff kit so also have a 19# and 20 lb) Problem with the gun?

Any advice and help would be greatly appriciated, and thanks very much in advance.

Bill

PS: Could be a factor -- I do notice two things about the old mainspring vs. the new mainspring(s). 1.) The old mainspring is shorter by about 1/4" but appears to be heavier coils, and 2.) The ends of the old mainspring are ground flat, whereas the new springs are not. I wonder if this is the same situation as P-64 resource says on the recoil spring, that is, grind the ends flat to function properly.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Please help! Trigger not re-setting

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm glad my videos were of help you you. Is the trigger return spring installed correctly? The upper leg of the spring should rest under a lug on the trigger bar inside the frame. This is what forces the trigger bar to make contact with the sear/hammer stuff so long as the disconnector is not forcing the bar down and out of the way.

I don't see the hammer/mainspring or the recoil spring to cause this issue. You shouldn't have to file/grind the ends of the mainspring to work/fit properly.

Did you try function checking it with the original stuff in it?
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Here is one of Norm Suttons pictures.

Take the slide stop out (WATCH THAT SPRING) and then look to make sure the spring is under the lug of the trigger bar as shown in this picture.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Ditto, it's probably your trigger spring that's not lifting the sear up, so it doesn't make consistent contact.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

If all else fails return to Gander, let them fix or replace it after you reinstall the original springs of course.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary