Safety/Decocker = Very Stiff

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Safety/Decocker = Very Stiff

Post by juniustaylor »

OK about the indents. I did do something like that on mine. I used a small round jewelers file and it took a lot of effort to make a tiny ramp. I think the detent (plunger) may make quite a bit of difference when you round it a bit.

I saw your posts in the slide peening topic as well. You can see if those leg deals are interfering by taking the slide off and looking at the bottom so you can see them and the safety. Then try to move the safety from each position to see if the safety seems to hang up on those legs. You can also remove the plunger and spring and just put the safety in so you can rotate it easily and see if there is drag caused by those legs.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Some stuff...
I do have my original plunger. Here it is compared to my modified plunger. Something that is interesting to note is that the body size of the two is different. The spring length is also different and must be due to the difference in size. They would still have the same overall length had I not modified the one.

If you do feel that the safety is rubbing those legs, you can lightly file where the safety would be contacting them.

Now for some videos because I like them. Sorry they're poor quality, I used my digital camera.
This is checking for free movement of the safety without the safety plunger installed.

Original, unmodified plunger installed.

Modified, rounded plunger installed.

Pistol assembled with the modified plunger.

I know that using a pinky isn't SOP, but it does illustrate ease of use and I'm not a weakling. :) Sorry to overload this post with lots of crap.
whgraham

Post by whgraham »

Certainly your expertise is not a lot of crap. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, no videos load.

1. I worked on the plunger a little more. Not quite down to what you've go, but close. Two two more tries, as I didn't want to go to far. Seemed better but still binding.

2. Put the safety in without the plunger and worked it back and forth. It was binding a little on the frame, so I dealt with that. I can still feel some pressure, so I know the frame and safety are contacting each other, but there's nothing I would call binding.

3. Put it back together, and either went to far or I have another problem.

Now: The de-cocker doesn't do what it's supposed to do, without a little coaxing. Coaxing = pushing the safety lever forward just a bit from the safe position (sometimes help), or pressing the safety into the frame at the pivot point (not the "handle" of the lever, but where the junction is between the lever and what enters the frame).

It's like it needs to be in more to contact the disconnector properly.

The safety/de-cocker functions feel much better, but not over-easy. So I'd think that they're fine. When I work the safety action, I can hear the disconnector flopping around during the times when the de-cokcer doesn't de-cock. So, maybe I have another problem, that being the disconnector?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Wonder if you don't have the most recent version of Flash installed to see the embedded Youtube videos. I'll put direct links on here.

You could be right on the disconnector. Feller on here recently within the past couple weeks was having a problem with his not wanting to decock. He found that someone had either filed the disconnector or it was severely worn. I think they're around $10 to $15 on Gunbroker.

When you said you were checking the safety without the plunger and spring, you mentioned it had a little binding on the frame. Did you put the slide back on the frame or did you just mean to say it was having a little binding in the slide?

Glad it is working better other than the decocking function not working proper.

Direct link to videos...
This is checking for free movement of the safety without the safety plunger installed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGDCeqoXK48

Original, unmodified plunger installed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhsb77xNtI

Modified, rounded plunger installed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUe6frT_tOc

Pistol assembled with the modified plunger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRydRKFNh0k
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

NOT TO SCALE AT ALL!!!

When the safety lever is covering about the first 1/4 of the red dot, that's when I can feel the safety is starting to engage the disconnector. However, the hammer doesn't decock until the lever is completely in the SAFE detent. So, there is a fine line between a functional and worn disconnector. If it's even barely worn, it would probably cause it to not work right. There is a smidgen of play that my safety will move rearward past SAFE. If you try to rotate yours a bit past SAFE, does it decock at all? Just wondering.
whgraham

Post by whgraham »

juniustaylor wrote:Did you put the slide back on the frame or did you just mean to say it was having a little binding in the slide?
Sorry, binding in the slide. Just a little bit.
whgraham

Post by whgraham »

juniustaylor wrote:There is a smidgen of play that my safety will move rearward past SAFE. If you try to rotate yours a bit past SAFE, does it decock at all? Just wondering.
Nope. On mine you go to complete safe position, no over-travel, and then nudge it slightly towards fire. Always been this way, even after the plunger profiling.

The top edge of the disconnector are quite shiny on mine, and the top edge has a beveled/rounded-over profile. A new one is in order I expect. I wish I could find one local. This is currently my one and only carry gun. I don't think it's unsafe to carry, since I can get it in safe mode with some encouragement, but I don't feel completely right, unless the gun is completely right.

Thanks for your help. Learning a lot about the P64 here (and I haven't even gotten to the springs).
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

You're welcome sir and I am glad you're learning a lot on here. I feel the same way, if somethings not right, then I don't feel right about it. We want things to work as they're supposed to, not just "make-do". I may take a picture or two tonight of my disconnector. Maybe you can see if yours is about the same, it's hard to eyeball some things.