First in the World

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
The Only Sarge

First in the World

Post by The Only Sarge »

I bet I am the first guy in the world to lose his Safety Pin (on the safety end of the ejector spring assembly) and had to make one from a nail.
Actually I like the safety better with the homemade one in it. Of course a nail is not hardened so I know it will not last. But hey it works fine :)

(Just kidding about the first in the world...I bet lots of guys have had to do this!

I see surplus is out of them....this will work for the time being though...
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: First in the World

Post by juniustaylor »

Yeah, seems to be common. I've been fortunate so far and haven't lost mine. Think I probably have a spare somewhere actually. You can buy them here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =247838436 The nail probably would work fine. I think Norm has suggested you can make them from the plunger that's used on the 1911 safeties. I think you just have to cut it down and give it that pointed shape. I'd probably just check the nail every now and then. You could always heat it up cherry and dunk it in some motor oil to maybe harden it. Not sure if that's too hard.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:You could always heat it up cherry and dunk it in some motor oil to maybe harden it. Not sure if that's too hard.
The nail might not have enough carbon content to be hardenable. Not much call for "high carbon nails." ;) Should be able to case-harden it though.

I've often thought that my PF9 slide would look wonderful Color Case Hardened.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

lklawson wrote:The nail might not have enough carbon content to be hardenable. Not much call for "high carbon nails." ;) Should be able to case-harden it though.
How about masonry nails? They're hardened. Finding one small enough might be a challenge though.

Dave
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

This was not on my P-64 but my FEG 63.
I have a "few" of them. All pristine.
I took one out of the other and my calipers told me it was .1255 exactly. Guess what size nail I had? .1255.

I took the nail and formed the "safety end" on my sander.....dull point but formed at a angle like the others....and then cut it the "eyeball" length of the others. I swear it is smoother and works just fine. Some lube and I do believe it will outlive me.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Oh, OK, I totally misunderstood and thought it was the P64, hence why it is in the "other 9x18" area. I feel dumb. Glad your PA63 is up and going again. If it does happen to wear out, you can always make as many spares as you like.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF