T/C Hawken won't shoot roundballs???

Use this section for all other firearms
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

T/C Hawken won't shoot roundballs???

Post by juniustaylor »

I have a T/C Hawken that was apparently a kit gun. It shoots the 350 grain T/C Maxi-Hunter bullets perfect with 80 grains of FFg. However, I have tried shooting it with 179 grain round balls (.490") with .010" ox-yoke prelubed patches. Tried FFg from 45 to 70 grains. It is always the same result. The ball hits high and left. When I move the rear sight from the centered position to the right as far as it will go, it still shoots high and left. I cannot move the rear sight down any more, it is bottomed out. Email to T/C was useless, I got no help from the representative. I see other folks on the internet that use FFFg powder with the round balls.

I just wanted to know if anyone has good results with the T/C Hawken and what load they're using. The twist rate is 1:48" which is the same as my Cabela's / InvestArm Hawken that I assembled about 10 years ago or so. That rifle can SHOOT round balls.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
gunsmoke66

Re: T/C Hawken won't shoot roundballs???

Post by gunsmoke66 »

I have a 50 caliber thomson hawken, it shoots round just fine, 80 to 110 gr but are ou sure the ball is .490 got some once suppose to be .490 .440
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Yeah, I am positive they're .490. Some are ones that I have personally cast, others are commercial. All fit snug down the bore when loading. 80 grains just seems like a huge amount for a tiny little ball.
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

Not a gunsmith, just guessing here. Has this rifle ever shot balls correctly as far as you know? Could there be a nick in the bore or muzzle that might cause the ball to spin differently? (I'd think that would affect a bullet too, but ball and bullet aerodynamics are somewhat different.)

I just wondered because some Mosin-Nagant rifles have had the mouth of the barrel widened by decades of cleaning with a steel cleaning rod. In really bad cases the muzzle needs to be counterbored, otherwise gas escaping the barrel early on the worn side will push the bullet off course.

Dave
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I don't know if it ever shot round balls well or not. I took the gun in on a trade for a 20 gauge bolt action Mossberg. So, I got the better end of the deal, but the person that I traded the shotgun to was not into blackpowder shooting. So he didn't mind. Muzzle is good, bore is mint. All I've heard from Thompson Center is that the 1:48" twist barrels are meant more for conicals and that round balls may or may not shoot good. I think that's a crummy answer. I'll just have to play with loads some more when I take it out next time. Thanks for the suggestions Hinermad.