Dumb ? bout recoil spring &Maks trimmed

Info, pictures, advice...
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

Ya'll bear w/me as I haven't read every message on the board due in part 2 my blazin' dial-up. Wonderin' why a stiffer Mak spring trimmmed a tad 2 make up 4 the 3.25" brl wouldn't be an option. How much does the 25#(H&K-P7 option) lose when ya trim it 7.25 turns as opposed 2 a 21# Mak trimed.25"? I have my bro's IJ70 baikal in .380 7 was wonderin' out load b4 mine arrive. I could order it if it hasn't been tried & pawn it off on him if it didn't work out....
Last edited by nicksterdemus on January 8th, 2007, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

nick, so much of the operation of a blowback pistol is controlled by the recoil spring that it's an area that I'm reluctant to guess about modifications. I guess if the recoil spring is too stiff the harm would be that it wouldn't strip a cartridge from the magazine or eject a spent casing. But if the spring was too "springy" you'd be damaging your pistol at best, or setting yourself up for physical damage at worst. This is a dangerous area for Bubba to get involved - I'd want an engineering stamp on any spring modifications.
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

I'm going by the available springs from Wolfsprings. Even factory springs that are installed decades ago won't be up 2 snuff w/same stored unsprung spring. I have no prob using a 2-4lb heavier spring if I'm not shooting ultra light lead. Don't mind the extra recoil that'll occur as well. There's good 1 size fits all spill in the back of the Wolfspring catalog concerning how far the brass flies. Are the Mak's 3.5"brls? If so then I'd have no prob tryin' 1 out. I noticed the HK7 fix complaint 'bout recoil rub o' da slide & am thinkin' that even tho' 9mm is smaller diameter tham the Mak it doesn't have a fixed brl & due 2 the movement of said brl might be larger in diameter. I don't know what I'm talkin' 'bout just thinkin' out loud. Feel free @ any time 2 shoot me down coz I don't take nuttin personal.............................
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

Also I've noticed a couple of different recoil spring setups. Does any1 know what # the original spring was? Not to discredit any1's work in this area. I just enjoy cookin' up some Bubba analogy but danged if'n that ain't hard 2 cipher when I ain't got all dem dar fax 'bout da teknuckle end o' da Polish pounder don't ya no?

If the Mak spring was 17lb W/3.83" brl then would a P-64 w/85mm brl run 'round 15lbs which would be 'bout what a shortened 17 mak fitted to a 64 would be? I'm guesstamatin' the 64 slide wouldn't weigh as much being shorter so I reckon you'd have 2 weigh both 2 come up w/conversion albeit not exact. But if they weighed the same according 2 length then the cut down mak would in the lighter 64 performance wise be 'round 16lb. The Mak site said folks had used cut down Mak springs in the 64.

I guess what I'm ever so slowly gettin' 'round 2 is wonderin' what target lb recoil spring are folks considering the best all around seeing how no1 makes a replacement & why am I not readin' anything here 'bout the Mak springs.

Is this makin' any sense 2 any1 or am I just a ramblin' babblin' cognitively challenged ridgerunnin billhilly Bubba?

This is the longest edit. OK I found the pages I was lookin' 4. Jeeze Louise 25# original spring in the 64. 8 more than the Mak. Like Johnney would say "That's some weird, wild stuff".

OK THE MAINSPRING. I wish that package would arrive ........
Last edited by nicksterdemus on January 8th, 2007, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.