First one for me.

Info, pictures, advice...
lwj

First one for me.

Post by lwj »

Purchased first for me P-64 from a member on Sig forum. I was not expecting much, as I purchased it for a sentimental reason.
I took it to the shooting range and concealed carry it both ways.
Pistol performed flawlessly, accurate enough for small hand gun, but most of all it was the most comfortable to carry in IW holster of all pistols I own.
No, I do not plan to replace my EDC with P-64, but I start to like it- like it a lot, enough that I want one more.
This one is in very good condition with some wear on the slide at the muzzle, but the rest is almost excellent.
I would like to get one in an excellent overall condition and would appreciate any leads to where to find one.
fknipfer1

Re: First one for me.

Post by fknipfer1 »

I have heard that the ATF went and downgraded these to a C&R Status and some of the Curio people went out and bought everything on market. I don't know if that is true but that's what I read and heard. I found a really nice one on Gunbroker but had to pay a nice price for it. I intend to use it for carry soon as I lighten the hammer spring to 18#'s the factory is right a 24#'s no wonder the trigger is hard to pull in DA. I got four springs to try 18,19,20,21 so I will try them all until I find the one that works best. Good luck on your quest to find a like new one I don't see very many up for sale at this time.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
lwj

Post by lwj »

I received spring kit from Wolff Co. today and using instructions from this forum I installed lighter hammer spring.
DA trigger is actually usable.
From reading other posts I figure it is the best to carry this pistol with the safety on when round is in the chamber.
What are your thougths on this?
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

Well...

I'm generally opposed to modifying the internals of a carry pistol. In the unlikely event that you ever have to use it, the mere fact that you lightened the trigger pull (now a 'hair trigger' in lawyer-speak) will be raw meat to the prosecuting attorney, and the know-nothing jurors will likely eat it up. Nothing wrong with doing that to a range gun, but I'd really think twice about carrying it that way. Besides, if that life and death situation ever does arise, you won't even notice the 25+ pound trigger.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I don't think you lighten up the spring pressure that much. Somebody help me if I am wrong, If you go from 25# to 15 or 16#'s anything is a help. I don't think there is any such thing as a hair trigger on the P64 from what I have heard. My buddy Junius changed his to a 17# spring but I don't know what the final tension is and how much an improvement it really made.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

I don't think there is any such thing as a hair trigger on the P64 from what I have heard.
You're right, but that's not the point here. In court, it will be spun into a 'hair trigger' just by virtue of the fact you've changed the springs. By modifying the gun, you rendered it 'dangerously unsafe', and that's the whole reason you shot his defenseless client (never mind that he was trying to mug you at the time). Why, you're not even a qualified gunsmith! Maybe you installed the parts incorrectly? It's all about the perception created in the minds of a jury, who'll likely know little or nothing about guns, save what they've seen on the big screen.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I have never been in a court of law for anything, so I don't know anything about how they would go about examining a pistol. European style of CCW is with a smaller pistol you don't just shoot once if close enough you empty magazine into perp's chest or whatever, which causes massive hemoragging and quick endings. I'm sure that wouldn't go over in the USA because the criminals have all the rights. Seems like the courts don't adjuge rifles the same way they do pistols. Home defense I have a 20ga that used to be brown and now is black, I wonder if they would treat it the same.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

Im not sure if a jury of your peers would even know the gun had a lighter spring in it unless you said something about it.......

Home made shredder ammo would be one thing, the coroner could pull the evidence out of the perp, but who would know something like the spring?
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

You don't think they aren't going to have it checked out? A forty year old gun with brand new springs in it - who installed them and why?

Lawyers are weasels (my apologies to weasels). You give them something to hang their hat on and they're going to absolutely run with it. Why take the chance with a carry piece?
lwj

Post by lwj »

lwj wrote:Purchased first for me P-64 from a member on Sig forum. I was not expecting much, as I purchased it for a sentimental reason.
No, I do not plan to replace my EDC with P-64, but I start to like it- like it a lot, enough that I want one more.
Thanks for your input.
I quess it is better to leave this pistol as range/ safe queen- king/ sentimental relic, since I have perfect EDC pistols (Kahr).
Still it is a very comfortable pistol to carry in IW holster.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I guess I had better quit this topic before I say something I would regret later.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

The myth that attorneys would go after a spring change is just that a myth. I have researched this to death and it has never happened in the USA.

The only thing close was a guy that used a STOCK 10mm and the prosecutor used that against him saying that he used a hand cannon when that wasn't needed. If he would have had a good attorney himself that likely wouldn't have mattered though. The fact was he had a young subpar attorney and it showed.

Please don't post hypotheticals that are not grounded in fact. What if scenarios are just that what if.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

Autosurgeon wrote:The myth that attorneys would go after a spring change is just that a myth. I have researched this to death and it has never happened in the USA.

The only thing close was a guy that used a STOCK 10mm and the prosecutor used that against him saying that he used a hand cannon when that wasn't needed. If he would have had a good attorney himself that likely wouldn't have mattered though. The fact was he had a young subpar attorney and it showed.

Please don't post hypotheticals that are not grounded in fact. What if scenarios are just that what if.
I never claimed it was anything other than a 'what if'. I for one choose not give a prosecuting attorney a possible opening to use against me. If you choose to do otherwise, that's entirely up to you. I sincerely hope that neither one of us ever has to test our respective 'what if' scenarios in a court of law. So on this issue, we'll simply have to agree to disagree.
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

I have to agree that what if scenarios played against the possibility of a civil court action do create undue paranoia. But by the same token never underestimate the depth to which lawyers will sink to find their clients loopholes. Give the enemy no ammunition if you can help it. Better safe than sorry. And welcome to my clichefest. LOL

Oh and by the way congrats on your purchase!
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.