Mods to a P-64 as a C&R

Info, pictures, advice...
Gandalf

Mods to a P-64 as a C&R

Post by Gandalf »

What mods are allowed and do not alter the C&R status of the P-64?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mods to a P-64 as a C&R

Post by dfunk »

ATF wrote: Q: What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?

The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.

It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.

Src: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios- ... ifications
What are you thinking of having done?
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm quite familiar with the citation above. By all accounts the P-64 is an excellent candidate for concealed carry especially after doing some tweaking to lighten the trigger pull and reduce recoil.

My personal concern is that if I change the springs and grips not only is the pistol not in "its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon" but the fundamental characteristics of the pistol are altered.

P-64's acquired prior to mid 2010 are unaffected but recent C&R purchases are subject to new rules.
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

I'm confused. Once you aquire the pistol, what difference does it make? :?:

If you intend to eventually resell it, why not hang on to the original springs?
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

We're really dealing with two P-64 variants: non-C&R and post June 2010 purchased using a C&R FFL.

Agreed to the second point.

As to the first - other than 'cosmetic' changes - i.e. replacement of a cracked stock - alteration of a firearm acquired as a C&R might be illegal.

Several websites dedicated to C&R and military arms address this mod topic in detail. What makes the P-64 unique is its newly acquired status as a C&R so my questions are really pertinent to pistols purchased with a C&R subsequent to June 2010.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Gandalf wrote: I'm quite familiar with the citation above.
My personal concern is that if I change the springs and grips not only is the pistol not in "its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon" but the fundamental characteristics of the pistol are altered.
Reread the ATF rules, specifically paragraph 2. Your grips are stocks and you are replacing a spring in the gun with a new manufacture spring designed to operate as the original. The action of the gun is not changed by the addition of a new mainspring. Besides, your original mainspring is at least 40 years old and no telling what kind of condition it's in. Replacing it with a new manufacture spring specifically made for your gun is assuring that the gun is safe to fire and is in proper mechanical condition. This is stated plain as day in paragraph 2.
ATF wrote:Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable...
While I'm not a lawyer and don't claim to be, I disagree that we're dealing with two different 'variants.' The gun is the same. Whether you bought it using your C&R or from a gunshop, it's still the same gun. If changing springs and grips were an issue, think of all the 'broken' guns there would be just because they had a bad spring that was illegal to change.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

IMOP this is not a problem!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

I also hope its not a problem.

Thanks for the comments.