Stupid question

Info, pictures, advice...
magicdoc

Stupid question

Post by magicdoc »

What are some of these jokers on gunbroker thinking? There are abundant supplies of P-64s to be had for around $150. Do these guys actually believe that they can sell them with an opening bid over $200? Am I missing something? Somebody help me out here.
Last edited by magicdoc on January 2nd, 2007, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Stupid question

Post by abwehr »

majicdoc,

I agree with you 100%.......Not just the P-64, but I have been looking at Gunbroker several times a day trying to find something I want (note, I did not say needed, LOL) at a decent and fair price. The starting bids on most of the stuff is more than it is worth?????? I am not upset at the folks selling as they want to get as much as they can for their stuff, but gee, no one is bidding on a lot of the stuff because of the price.

I like WWII German arms and the K98k, P.38, Lugers, etc. are priced FAR beyond what they are worth, especially the mismatched, Russian capture shooter stuff. I can buy from dealers at a lower cost than many of the arms on Gunbroker. As I said, no problem making a profit, but when SOG sells the P-64 for $140, no reason to buy from Gunbroker.
Last edited by abwehr on January 2nd, 2007, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Stupid question

Post by beasleydano »

I do not understand it either. I see them listed for $200+ on Gunbroker & Auction Arms but not selling. When I got ready to buy my first one I had heard that SOG had some problems with safeties on some of theirs and that theirs had the thumbrest grip so I looked to the auction sites. I bought one for $170 shipped price and another for $145 shipped price. Both were unissued TG Knoxville imports with 2 mags. What I do see actually selling high on the auction sites are P-64 magazines. I sold 2 of my extras on eBay in the last few days, one at auction went for $36 + $3 shipping and another was Buy It Now at $25 + $3 shipping.
redfestiva

Stupid question

Post by redfestiva »

I'm a newby here at the forum and was wondering : What exacty is it that most of the owners dislike about the thumbrest grips? Is it the feel or the look or what. Mine has the thumbrest grips and did'nt seem to bother me one way or another. I can say I like the flat black look of the Zeegrips over the shiney originals.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Stupid question

Post by anjdrifter »

glad everyone sees the same thing on gun broker as I do.I really am amazed at times but most dont sell.I have bought a few weapons on gunbroker but you really have to hunt them up. I also sell pins on gunbroker . I think the sellers buy from sog,aim or someplace like them. then sell to all the new or uninformed.I too have the milsurp illness .cant find a po8 for what I am willing to pay for a decent one or a broomhandle. I have 3 1895 nagents(told you had illness but I love em ) and cant believe what they try and sell them for look left also neither of my 64s had rests so cant help you
Last edited by anjdrifter on January 2nd, 2007, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoostation

Stupid question

Post by zoostation »

My philosophy on buying stuff on the web is simple, just like buying stuff at a gunshow. A business deal is a matter of trust, and if someone tries to screw you even in a small way, its time to walk, because they'll do it big if they get a chance. It amazes sometimes to see the abuse some buyers will take in gun shops and at shows and still fork over their hard-earned cash. Just like sellers who charge grossly inflated shipping and handling. I saw one seller on gunbroker the other day who wanted $25 to ship a $250 pistol (in priority mail, 4 bucks) and wanted another 8 bucks to 'optionally' insure it! (3 bucks) Then followed it up with a long spiel about how if you decline the insurance we're not responsible if it gets lost, blah, blah, blah. I really wanted that pistol, but I was like f&^*! him, if he's even going to try something like that I don't want to do business with him.

I think I've seen the one deal you are talking about on Gunbroker. His prices on his other guns are high too. Living where I do, in the liberal sinkhole of Maryland, I'm used to seeing gun prices like this in shops and buy almost everything I get off the web. I have no doubt if I see a P-64 in a store around here they'll want 250 bucks or more for it. I remember one time being quoted a price of $675 for a used Norinco SKS! Even at gunshows you see these guys with ridiculous prices like 300 bucks for a banged up M48 Mauser, you just feel like asking them "why do you bother?".

If you shop around on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica though, you can find good deals. I bought my P64 from an ad on Gunsamerica, from a place called Hartwell Gun & Supply down in Georgia for $140 including shipping. Very nice people and very good service. If I see something I like I'm not afraid to make an offer and the worst they can do is say no. I've also had good luck with Midwest Ordnance and J&G Sales who sells their used inventory on GA. Good deals are out there, just need to look for them and not be afraid to walk if someone is overpriced, shifty or just plain rude.
Last edited by zoostation on January 2nd, 2007, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Stupid question

Post by beasleydano »

Up until about 10 years ago I had an FFL for about 20 years, buying and selling part-time from home, more as a hobby than a business. I mostly did special orders for guys in my rifle & pistol club or looked for the real bargains to re-sell. I never kept any substantial inventory. Oftentimes after selling a gun at a small profit I would try to re-order a similar gun and the dealer price was then higher than what I had just sold one for. Mind you, this was a no-overhead business with any profit going for my own gun personal hobby. A store front dealer does have a lot of expense, a lot of competition and when he prices a gun he has to be concerned with what he will have to pay for the next one that he puts in inventory. Some of the reasons that the shipping charges on the auctions are high are because the auction site may charge the seller according to the selling price but not the shipping charge so the seller inflates the shipping charge instead of the starting price of the gun, some sellers are not FFL01 dealers so their shipping charges and/or FFL fees are legitimately high, some dealers charge what they think that everbody else charges or whatever they think that the market will bear. From a consumer standpoint it pays to do your homework and shop around and try to do business with those individuals or companies that have earned your confidence. Forums like ours are really helpful when you get that urge to buy, don't you think?
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Stupid question

Post by nbender »

About 5 years ago there was a guy who listed Makarov magazines on Gunbroker for $35. At the time they were going for $5 - $8. I wrote him and asked if he had researched what they go for. He replied that he does $1M a year on auction sites and he doesn't research at all, he just lisits a price and if it sells he's happy, and if it doesn't he moves on. He could care less that he was asking 7 times the going rate, he said somebody usually comes along and buys it anyway.

Gun shows are getting to be more and more the same way. And at least 80% of gun stores have that attitude. When I find an honest and knowledgeable dealer with a freindly attitude, I give them all my support.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Stupid question

Post by dolang1 »

redfestiva, My thumbrest grips disentegtated the first time I shot it. Broke right at the thumbrest. Replaced them with zee grips and wooden grips from himmel. No more problems. Later Don
amd6547

Stupid question

Post by amd6547 »

I just made my first gunbroker purchase--a Ruger new Model Blackhawk 45LC for $250 +$15 shipping. My shooting club has a members only FFL, no fee, so I am happy.
I'll probably check it out again.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
vermonter

Stupid question

Post by vermonter »

I ordered a P-64 through an FFL in my area. After his mark-up and tax it was damn near $200. Unless you have an FFL and can order direct or have a real close friend, I doubt you can get one for $150 out the door. The people on gunbrokers are shrewd and know this
buggyboat

Stupid question

Post by buggyboat »

Ok, it is like this. Say a dealer has an opportunity to buy a gun with a max value of $300. In order for the dealer to be able to sell it for $300 and make a modest $25 profit he would have to pick it up for around $249. And sell it for $281. Remember the max price anyone would pay is $300. With a 6.6% sales tax rate, that would be a tax of $18.58 ($281.42 + $18.58= $300). You say that the dealer would be making more than the $25, don¡¦t forget income tax. That is going to be about $8. So in this ¡§deal¡¨ the dealer walks away with $25 and the government walks away with about $26.50. (I know, someone is going to tell me I did my math is wrong. That¡¦s why I said ¡§about¡¨)

As far as the P-64 goes, if the dealer is only ordering one, $200 is a fair price. $140 from SOG, add $30 to ship it (SOG ships all handguns next day air), add in tax and some money for the dealer. You get to $200 real quick and the dealer is not making much. Hopefully for his sake he orders more than one at a time. ļ
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Stupid question

Post by dolang1 »

Aim has the CZ82 for $209, rated very good. SOG has the CZ82 for $225 rated very good to excellent. Aim has a $20 hand pick charge while SOG has a $10 hand pick charge. OK they're $6 apart. After shipping, FFL, and tax I'm looking at $260 to $265. I'm gonna do what I always do. Go to a gun show this weekend and try to buy one that is less than $260 and hand pick it myself. Later Don
buggyboat

Stupid question

Post by buggyboat »

I don't know what happened in that last post with the funny symbols. It looked good when I hit Post Reply.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Stupid question

Post by dolang1 »

Buggyboat, You did mention the government in your post, The guys from the black helicopters probably put those funny symbols in it