Finaly got to shoot my P64 today.

Info, pictures, advice...
smbob

Finaly got to shoot my P64 today.

Post by smbob »

Work has been so busy lately I just haven't had a chance to do any shooting. I picked up 1000
once fired PMC 9mm Luger brass off of Gunbroker recently. I trimmed about half of them down
to 9X18 specs and reloaded 400 rounds with Missouri Bullets 93gr cast bullets. 100 each of the
following: 3.5gr Unique, 3.2gr Titegroup, 4.0gr 231, and last but not least, 3.5gr AA#2.
Along with my P64 i was also shooting for the first time: Bulgarian Makarov, & a CZ 82.
It was a long drive out to the Desert where I go, but 1,000,000% worth the effort!
I love it out there! I was on some BLM land. I was there for 6 hours and saw a grand
total of 2 trucks go by with dirt bikes in the back on their way to where they go riding.
Of the 9X18 pistols I shot today I can say, although it is the most punishing on my hand
the P64 was the most accurate. I set up a 3'X3' cardboard box with half a dozen Shoot 'n
Sees on it about 10 yards away. I'm not kidding. The first shot with my P64 was a bullseye
dead center! It is a nice little gun! My Bulgarian Makarov was the most fun to shoot for me.
I love that gun! The 9X18 really is a potent little round! The CZ 82 was fun to shoot too.
It didn't seem as accurate as the other two 9X18's with the 93gr rnl bullet possibly due to
the polygonal rifling it has. Hands down the most accurate and the most pleasant to shoot
in all of the guns today was the 3.5gr of AA#2. That P64 throws the empties into the next
county! Not as bad as my CZ 52 but it launches them pretty far. I was on a large level piece
of ground today, so I recovered just about everything I shot today. I went through about
300 rounds of 9X18. I just ordered some more bullets from M.B. They should be here this
week. I shot my 2 new Rock Island Armory 1911's, my EAA single action Bounty Hunter
22LR/22Mag, my Ruger Blackhawk 41Mag, my Marlin 1894S 41Mag, and my Marlin 336 30-30
as well. All in all a fantastic day! It was cloudy, but not cold at all. I didn't need a jacket
at all today. It was T-shirt weather and no wind either. I'm going to load up some more
and do it again real soon! YEA BABY!!! :D

Robert
gwbiker

Re: Finaly got to shoot my P64 today.

Post by gwbiker »

Were you alone?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Yeah, the CZ-82 may not be as accurate with those cast bullets. IMO, it has been way accurate with my own reloads using Berry's Mfg plated bullets. I love my CZ way more than my P-64. Glad you got some good results. It's always good to see your own reloads hit where you want!
smbob

Post by smbob »

gwbiker wrote:Were you alone?

Yes I was. I has a almost senior moment this morning 15 minutes down the road when I realized
I had forgot the camera. :( There were some awesome photo ops today too. Crap!

Robert
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

Sounds like you had some fun smbob! What part of the country are you in? We got snow and cold in Puktah.
smbob

Post by smbob »

SZ,
I reside in the Southern section of The People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Robert
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

smbob,

Good report, I have no experience with cast bullets in any of my 9x18's as I still have a ton of 9x18 factory ammo so I can't comment, but with factory ammo for me the CZ82 is very accurate, potent and a lot of fun to shoot. I'm pretty sure your RIA 1911's faired well also, I have for some time enjoyed my MS and Tactical RIA's

gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

smbob wrote:
gwbiker wrote:Were you alone?

Yes I was. I has a almost senior moment this morning 15 minutes down the road when I realized
I had forgot the camera. :( There were some awesome photo ops today too. Crap!

Robert
IMHO, it's NOT a good idea to alone into a remote area for the purpose of shooting guns, and I tell you why.

You never know who can approach you from behind while you are wearing ear protection and busy shooting. I've read reports of individuals in Arizona, Utah and West Virginia who, while alone were beaten, robbed of money, vehicle, guns or were fatally shot by person(s) who were wandering thru the area.

Then you have the anti gun crowd who may approach you shouting you can't shoot there, then later swear to authorities that you pointed a gun at them.

I suggest you take a GF, wife, friend along to OC a handgun and be a witness for you in case you come across some anti gun tree huggers intent on ruining your life because you have guns. Someone to watch your back while you focus on shooting.

I didn't intend to preach to you, but with my 20 years in law enforcement perhaps I can give you something to mull over.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

I can agree with your precautionary statements.. as former LEO, and now as an Instructor I preach to students and fellow shooters that Never shoot up all your ammo on the range especially if a remote one. I also(make sure you are LEGAL) carry my conceal carry back up with me while goingto ,on, and going from a shooting event...
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

These concerns are exactly why I always have a backup available while shooting. Also I use electronic muffs so I can actually hear what is going on around me better than without them.

If possible though a buddy is best!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

smbob wrote:SZ,
I reside in the Southern section of The People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Robert

I lived out there for a couple years back in the late 70's early 80's. I loved the High desert Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree area. Pretty stinking hot though.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

papabear wrote:smbob,

Good report, I have no experience with cast bullets in any of my 9x18's as I still have a ton of 9x18 factory ammo so I can't comment, but with factory ammo for me the CZ82 is very accurate, potent and a lot of fun to shoot. I'm pretty sure your RIA 1911's faired well also, I have for some time enjoyed my MS and Tactical RIA's

papabear That is nice looking CZ-82. Is that a factory finish or a beautiful Duracoat finish?
smbob

Post by smbob »

Thanks for the replies and concerns fellas. No worries though. I have been going out to this area for
over 40 years. I know it quite well and it's quite safe. I also like to think I'm prepared for anything
that would pop up. It's a long ride out there for me. ( 4 hours each way) My time is limited once I
get there. (maybe 5-6 hours before I have to head back home) I don't have time to fit others people's schedules
into mine or to wait for them to get up enough guts to ask for permission from their Wives to
go. Nor do I have the time or patience to babysit or entertain anyone when I'm out there. In
my line of work it can get noisy and hectic. One of the most satisfying relaxing things I enjoy is
the sound of absolutely nothing. I love getting out in nature and experiencing just that. Nothing
recharges my batteries more than solitude and peace and quiet. If there is any noise to be made
I want to be the one to make it. I'm pretty hardcore, and I have no patience for B.S. or wimps.
When I decide I want to go somewhere I load my rig up, jump in it and go. That's just how I roll.

Robert
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

surfzombie wrote:
papabear wrote:smbob,

papabear That is nice looking CZ-82. Is that a factory finish or a beautiful Duracoat finish?
surfzombie,

Its just as I received it from AIM Surplus a little over 3 years ago, it has close to 2000 rds through it, but I never carry it.

Since this thread is smbob's about his P-64 I should mention my main year round carry is my P-64 [6+1 safety off] especially when I'm at my range which is in a remote boondocks area here in W. KY, not where the buffalo roam but rather were 4 legged as well as 2 legged varmints, bootleggers, moonshiners, meth-alcoholics and a large encampment of the KKK exist all within 5 miles of our range. Its a gated range but each member is responsible for safety and range management. Ky is a open carry state so I don't have to carry concealed but I do because I don't happen to agree with open carry, however, we can carry a loaded handgun in a unlocked glove box and a rifle or shotgun in our vehicle.

I carry different ways depending on locations, situations, weather and attitude.