HELP!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
LynnKCircle

HELP!

Post by LynnKCircle »

OK, folloing the instructions here, I went to replace the mainspring. Try as I might, I simply could not get the holes in the magazine release to line up. There were a lot of "almost got it" until my thumb was bruised pushing the mag release so that the rod fit through it with the spring on top.

Then, the last time, when I thought I finally had it though the use of a wooden carpenters clamp, it got away from me. Before I was contending only with the rod, the spring, and the mag release. Now I suddenly had two more pieces from God knows where -- one looks like a pivot pin, and the other is a small shaped washer. Then, of course, the mag release went up smoothly and the pin holding it went in. Of course, now neither the trigger or hammer work right.

I am quitting for now. Should I just try to find a local gunsmith to put it all together, or do you guys have an answer? (Same post on the C&R mailing list.)
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: HELP!

Post by juniustaylor »

The small washer is the hammer strut washer. It goes above the hammer spring on the strut bar. The pivot pin, I don't know which one you're referring to on that one. It can be a pain to get it to line up, especially if you don't have strong hands. If you have any strong friends, you could see if they'd help you. Otherwise, if the gunsmith won't charge much or anything at all, then you may want to take it there instead.

Go here. - http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Parts_List.pdf

The strut washer is number 11A. Let us know which piece the other one may be and we can assist you better from there. However, there should be no "pivot pin". The mainspring area is all really simple with the strut bar, washer, spring, mag release, and pin. The hammer does have a pin, but it's held in place in the frame and shouldn't have come out.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

I use a non-official method which you might want to try. In my mind I call it "transfer of control."

1. Hammer down, I hold the gun upside down. Place strut washer and hammer spring on the hammer strut, install in gun, and compress the mag release far enough down for it to catch into the frame.

2. I hold that in place with one hand and zip-tie the strut & hammer spring assembly to the frame to hold it in place. This prevents a flying mag release.

3. Now I'm free to compress the mag release far enough to temporarily jab a punch through the frame and the mag release where the pin would go.

4. Now I cock the hammer and stick a paperclip through the disassembly hole.

5. Then I decock the hammer to release tension, and use the pin to push out the punch that was temporarily holding everything in place.

6. Now I cock the hammer, remove the paperclip, decock, and remove the zip tie.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

to change hammer springs go here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1583

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

Thank you, Norm. I used that method and it worked. BUT the gun still won't work. Does this simply mean I do not have the strut properly positioned and need to redo it, or does it mean I have fooooked up the entire works?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

chances are you have the strut in backwards

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

Norm, I didn't have it in backwards, but I did not have it positioned properly. Now I know that the paperclip capture is the only way to go. I also know that if the retaining pin won't go in correctly, that the strut is not aligned correctly. However, contrary to how it looked in the photos, I found that when properly aligned the strut and spring are not parallel to the frame, but angled out a little towards the top.

Anyways, all seems well. The pistol reacts in both SA and DA mode. Magazines drop as they should. It is too bad I have to go to work early this afternoon, or I would make the 40 minute drive out to the range (I live inside of Houston). That'll have to wait until next week. The only thing not making me jump in glee is that after all of this the DA pull is only marginally better than it was before. Now, instead of being impossible, it is about the same as a stock PA63!

Again, thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated!