Fort Pistols

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Fort Pistols

Post by Weasel640 »

Are these not being imported into the U.S.? I think the Fort 12, 14, and 17 are chambered for 9x18 Makarov. Has anyone ever handled on of these?

Weasel
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Fort Pistols

Post by papabear »

Weasel,

I have heard they are but I'm usually the last to hear anything.

Fort 12 9x18
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I've never seen one outside pictures. Where I did see them was on a web site that has military pistols from all nations, appears to be current too. Half the good stuff we never see, interesting stuff anyway.
mirother

Post by mirother »

Does anyone know where these pistols are made?
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

mirother wrote:Does anyone know where these pistols are made?
Ukraine. Been in production since 1998. I doubt that we will see them anytime soon.
Arik

Post by Arik »

I would not trust any weapon coming out of Ukraine for a while. At least not the post Soviet weapons that were designed and built in Ukraine. bribing, stealing and corruption is rampant. I wouldnt be surprised that one greedy CEO (or whatever) bought or sold or made crappy metal. Or the factory worker wasnt stealing parts and selling them on the side.
mirother

Post by mirother »

Thanks, fellows, for the replies. These are new to me. I certainly wouldn't be the first to buy one.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

Arik wrote:I would not trust any weapon coming out of Ukraine for a while. At least not the post Soviet weapons that were designed and built in Ukraine. bribing, stealing and corruption is rampant. I wouldnt be surprised that one greedy CEO (or whatever) bought or sold or made crappy metal. Or the factory worker wasnt stealing parts and selling them on the side.
Do you have his number? :lol:
Arik

Post by Arik »

Foo Bird wrote:
Arik wrote:I would not trust any weapon coming out of Ukraine for a while. At least not the post Soviet weapons that were designed and built in Ukraine. bribing, stealing and corruption is rampant. I wouldnt be surprised that one greedy CEO (or whatever) bought or sold or made crappy metal. Or the factory worker wasnt stealing parts and selling them on the side.
Do you have his number? :lol:
LOL Not exactly. But my cousin is a captain in the Ukrainian army!
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Too bad they aren't reliable they are a good looking pistol but looks are everything.
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

The FORT website is most interesting. They make a little bit of everything, including several very cool looking pump-action shotguns.

Just a suggestion, let's not start any "they aren't reliable" balls rolling on these particular weapons until we know a lot more about them.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Hangfire,
Don't need any lectures unless you really know what you are talking about. I have read in several places on net these original guns were not quality parts and not reliable.
Last edited by fknipfer1 on April 1st, 2010, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arik

Post by Arik »

I have no knowledge of these weapons. Never shot one, never owned one, never even saw one. What I have plenty of knowledge on is the people, society, and life in general in the former Soviet countries. Not to be confused with the satellite countries.

Money talks.....period....end of story. If the Fort factory was able to get some metal of unknown condition, from an unknown manufacturer dirt cheap through a middle man of a middle man...they will. If a worker can trade some metal or plastic parts for a few bottles of real (quality) vodka or cognac or something else, he will. This is how things have allways been there and nothing has changed. Only more greed!

So overall they might be great weapons, made by well trained and well paid workers, on quality machines, utilizing quality materials. But I wouldnt bet my life on it.

For their milatary they might make quality stuff. No company is going to risk pissing off the government in E. Europe. But when it comes to the civilian market.....
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Still it would be nice to have one to fill out my 9x18 my collection.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Arik wrote:I have no knowledge of these weapons. Never shot one, never owned one, never even saw one. What I have plenty of knowledge on is the people, society, and life in general in the former Soviet countries. Not to be confused with the satellite countries.

Money talks.....period....end of story. If the Fort factory was able to get some metal of unknown condition, from an unknown manufacturer dirt cheap through a middle man of a middle man...they will. If a worker can trade some metal or plastic parts for a few bottles of real (quality) vodka or cognac or something else, he will. This is how things have allways been there and nothing has changed. Only more greed!

So overall they might be great weapons, made by well trained and well paid workers, on quality machines, utilizing quality materials. But I wouldnt bet my life on it.

For their milatary they might make quality stuff. No company is going to risk pissing off the government in E. Europe. But when it comes to the civilian market.....
So by this logic all the commercial arms manufacturers in the area would have horrible quality materials and possibly bad quality control. However in the same area you have several other commercial arms manufacturers. Just to name a few;

Glock, Austria
HS2000 (Springfield XD), Croatia
Walther, Germany
CZ, Czech Republic

This is just to name a few that I know off hand. I've never heard anything bad about the quality of guns from these countries. But I have heard of plenty of people that wholeheartedly trust these guns. All of them are only a few hundred miles from Ukraine, that's as close as just driving across Tennessee, U.S.A.

What you are saying is like saying it's OK to buy in Kentucky, but because you don't like the way Tennessee people are, it's NOT OK to buy from Tennessee. Sounds to me like you are just prejudice as your three posts some up that Ukraine sucks, and you know this because you have a cousin there.

Now there are a few commercial arms manufacturers that I have heard about BAD quality parts and BAD quality control. Can you guess where one of those manufacturers is located? That's right, Smith & Wesson is located right here in the U.S.A.

No country is impervious to the issues of poor material and poor quality parts. Until you KNOW that a manufacturer has these issues, it is just ignorant slander for you to maintain they would, simply based on their location. Just because your cousin is in the Ukraine Army does not give you the right to slander a manufacturer you admittedly know nothing about.

What I do know as fact; People in this area of the world have been making firearms for longer than the U.S.A. has been a country. In my opinion I'd say they know what they are doing. If one of their products became available in the U.S.A. I'd try it out before I pass judgment on it.

In my original post I asked "Has anyone ever handled on of these?". I was looking for other people that may have experience with the pistol it's self. I was not looking for a self proclaimed Ukraine basher.

Weasel