Safety Has 3 Positions - ???

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

I'm a new owner - LUV the gun. My safety will go to the "ON/SAFE" position but stops midway. When it stops the safety appears to be engaged. It will move to the full SAFE position but it takes two thumbs to shift it back to the "OFF/READY" position. At the midway point, it will shift with the flick of the thumb. Any ideas?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

irishbob979,

First welcome aboard, glad to have ya with us, also it would be a good idea to read some threads here to find out some of the do's and don't's.

I'm assuming you just got your P-64, the first thing I'd do is break it all down and give it a good cleaning, these guns have been stored for years and are full of cosmoline/crud or both.
POINT SHOOTER
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

Thanks for the advice. I'm retired military (35 years) first thing I did when I got home from the gun show was to strip and clean. That's when I first noticed the "glitch". I went to the range and put 18 rounds through it. Six inch pattern at 21 feet. The gun functions fine with the exception of the safety position.

I tried to down load the disassembly manual but only got pictures - no text.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

:)

Welcome!

You will need to remove and deburr the safety. Most likely there is a problem with the surface, or the safety plunger. The safety plunger can become flattened, burred, or damaged in a number of ways. Watch the spring as it can get away from you.

This would also be a good time to order Wollf springs, if you are so inclined to tame your new prize. PUT IT IN A BAG when you take the slide apart, most of us have learned this the hard way.

There are many posts here regarding safety issues. If you do a search you will find the most informative ones easily. There is an awful lot of information to be had here, and a good bunch of P-64 fans.

I have personally had several P-64's with safety issues so if I can be of help please PM me.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

Fritzhund,

Thanks for the info - my gut told me that would be it but I wanted a second opinion before I started to break it down. I'll remember to use the bag trick. Other than that I still have a CZ 82, IJ70-18A and a Feg P 63 to shoot.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

Bob,

When cleaning up the safety you might want to use some crocus cloth after deburring. Be careful with the entire process, as there are no parts available for the P-64.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

I disassembled all the slide components. Could not see any surface defects on any of the parts. Reassembled after a thorough cleaning and relube. The safety still stops at the mid way point. I suspect that the problem is on the barrel of the safety but without a drawing or duplicate saftey, I can't tell if there is anything wrong with it.

The safety does engage - I guess I can live with it. I don't use this as a carry piece anyway. Maybe I'll pick up another one at the next gun show :)

Thanks for the help.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

irishbob979

try some graphite on it mix with oil

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

FIXED IT. After reading through the old safety issues thread I found a guy with the same problem - followed his procedure and now it swings just fine. Thanks to all you guys for your advise and comments.
swd

Post by swd »

Just curious, What was the problem?

Thanks
SWD
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

I disassembled the safety and then reinserted only the safety barrel and checked for range of motion. It hit a "bump" at the 8 o'clock position. I used a dremel to deburr the safety barrel and the safety barrel receiver. After several tries I got it to cycle (without full reassembly, springs, etc.). It appeared that the rough spot was at the back end of the firing pin housing. I hit it a little with the dremel and viola - no bump. I would caution anyone that tries this to be patient with the process - once you remove metal you can't put it back.

Again, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments. :)
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Good job Bob, thanks for letting us know your fix!!
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

I had a similar issue when I bought mine. After I polished everything up I sat in front of the TV one night and manipulated the safety off/on for an entire hour. By the time I finished it was smooth as silk.
John has a long mustache