Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Info, pictures, advice...
popeels09

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by popeels09 »

I was looking for some answers as to which spring to buy. This P-62 video was well done and has some good information. The author states that the P-64 was designed to fire 71 Gr 9x18. Most of the ammo I have seen is 95 Gr. He also stated that when using the 95 Gr he has installed the Wolff 22# recoil spring. Another poster on this forum stated that heavier springs cause heavy slide slam on return.

Any thoughts from seasoned users about which spring (20# or 22#) to use with 95 Gr ammo?

Also what hammer spring are most people using with modern primers. I don't want a light strike just to get better D/A trigger pull.

THANKS!
darrell

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by darrell »

I use a Wolff 20# recoil spring. I also installed a Hogue Handall Jr. grip. I had a gun smith do the hammer spring so I don't know what it is, but I would say 20# recoil spring and handall jr. are the way to go. I have heard the 22# is hard to put in and I am sure it is difficult to get the slide back on the first time (was pretty hard the first time with 20#). I don't think most men need to change the hammer spring. You can shoot double action (although not for many rounds), but won't very often and in an emergency you can easily shoot double action once or cock the hammer. I look on the heavy trigger pull as an extra safety and didn't change the hammer spring in my PA-63. I did it in the P-64 for the wife.
popeels09

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by popeels09 »

Thanks Darrell. i hope others will share their thoughts too. I forgot to post the link, it is near the end of the video. He talks about the 71 grain being the bullet weight the gun is designed for. I am leaning toward the 20#. I think all P-64 owners should make this mod to save the slide stop.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyXAklp0a2I
rottenrick

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by rottenrick »

popeels09, Welcome man. I use the 20lb. recoil spring, and an 18lb. hammerspring. The DA is o'k, but creeps to a solid break. I'm using graphite to smooth it. The SA is about 2.5 to 3.0 lbs, very light. But, I'm used to it. I shoot pretty much what everyone else does, 94-95 grn rounds.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by normsutton »

popeels09

that (71 grain being the bullet weight the gun is designed for ) this was discussed a long time ago on this forum , and we all agreed that the 71 grain was a miss print in the manual because no one could come up with an old 71 grain MAK. bullet, 9 x 18 guns were not designed to shoot over a 95 grn bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
popeels09

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by popeels09 »

Sorry Norm I didn't see that thread. I remember a pistol called the Helwan that when fired with standard load 9x19 the rails and blcok would be peened so bad that it would ruin the pistol. I am sure the P-64 is made of MUCH better steel. Forgetting what load the pistol was designed for would you recommend the 20# or 22# for a 95 Gr Bullet? I just don't want to waste money trying springs when someone may have already come up with that answer. I am going to order the 20# as of now based on the post by Rottenrick.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by normsutton »

popeels09

in all 4 of mine I have the 20# recoil spring and the 18 # hammer spring, the only thing I shoot out of mine is
MFS brass ammo ,and my reloads

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tman11787

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by tman11787 »

popeels09,
I have had good experience, functioning, etc. with a 22# (R), 18# (H) combination. The 22# wasn't difficult to put in. There is more effort to rack the slide though...

Rottenrick,

Quick question...

When you say using graphite, I assume you mean graphite lock lubricant. Where are you applying it in order to help with smoothing things out? ...and how often to you replenish?

Thanks.
rottenrick

Ammo VS Recoil Spring Q

Post by rottenrick »

I use it on mating surfaces, and around the curvature of the actual trigger. I clean and replenish after every use. I'm looking for jewelers rouge, the stick type.