Just got my P-64!

Info, pictures, advice...
dgposton

Just got my P-64!

Post by dgposton »

Pics to follow...

OK, I just picked up my P-64 yesterday and I already have questions...

1) I tried replacing the recoil spring with a Wolff #20, but it didn't seem as smooth as the stock spring. Are you sure the ends don't need to be flat? The spring fits in fine, and I got it reassembled properly, but when I rack the slide it doesn't feel quite as smooth, like it's binding or something...

2) Does the extra power recoil spring affect the hammer pull? After changing the recoil spring, the hammer feels harder to cock, although it could just be my thumb getting tired....

3) Do I need to install that little spring I got with the Wolff #20 recoil spring, or should I just leave it alone?

4) Do I really need to clean this gun? It looks clean and well oiled by the previous owner (maybe J and G did this already).

5) How do I get the safety to work more smoothly? I'm really afraid of taking the gun totally apart.
rottenrick

Just got my P-64!

Post by rottenrick »

Try reversing the recoil spring, small end goes on the barrel first. Once the 20lb. is in place it might be harder to use the slide, as apposed to the stock spring. The hammer spring effects effects D.A. pull. I can't speak for everyone, but some leave the springs alone. Personally, I received my replacement springs before I received the pistol, so don't know about the recoil spring, replaced it while doing initial cleaning. Tried the D.A. WAS EXTREMELY HARD, changed it out with a 18lb. hammer spring from Wolfe (once again, some people are O'k with the D.A. pull.) As a note: Watch out with those individuals, when shaking hands or arm wrestling with said individuals they usually go by the name of "Rock crusher" or 'Spike' LOL!!! I would clean it, look at the main web page. There is a wealth of info on it. Everyone is helpful and shares information. If you're really stuck, and it happens. Ask, someone will help. I did a lot of reading of the threads, looking for what to do, or not to do. The absolute 'Go to guy' is Norm Sutton, dg. I welcome you!!
Last edited by rottenrick on June 3rd, 2009, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ogdengunner

Just got my P-64!

Post by ogdengunner »

Its possible that the gun was cleaned before you got it, but it is always a good idea to assume it wasn't and go ahead and clean it. I learned from personal experience. I bought mine from a local FFL dealer and it was also "clean". After about 20 rounds I started to have issues with FTF and FTE. Once I followed the advise provided on this forum, my problems were pretty much eliminated. Every so often I will still have an issue, but that is primarily because the rounds were not properly seated in the magazine.
Last edited by ogdengunner on June 3rd, 2009, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgposton

Just got my P-64!

Post by dgposton »

Are the safeties always so stiff or did I get a bad one?

Given the stiffness of the safety, my plan is to carry it with the safety off and no round in the chamber. When the BG shows up, all I have to do is rack the slide to put it in single action mode. Forget double action altogether.

I'm wondering now if it is necessary then to replace the hammer spring.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just got my P-64!

Post by dfunk »

dgposton wrote:When the BG shows up, all I have to do is rack the slide to put it in single action mode. Forget double action altogether.
I'd rethink this plan. Most people can pull the trigger before you can rack the slide - get some training if your uncomfortable carrying it hot.
I like my P64 loaded, safety off.
hwkeye

Just got my P-64!

Post by hwkeye »

dickfunk wrote:
dgposton wrote:June 4th, 2009, 1:14 pm...
I like my P64 loaded, safety off.
I hope with the hammer down?! :o

That SA pull is ultra light!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Just got my P-64!

Post by normsutton »

dgposton

most of the guts on this forum don't even use the safety when they carry the P-64 , if you want the safety to be easy you are going to have to take it apart and clean it , there are several threads on this you are going to have to look for them, or you can download this viewtopic.php?t=1536 witch is a good idea anyway

4) Do I really need to clean this gun? It looks clean and well oiled by the previous owner (maybe J and G did this already).
YES they have been wipe off not cleaned and please don't shoot wolf ammo in these guns there are no parts for these guns

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on June 5th, 2009, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dgposton

Just got my P-64!

Post by dgposton »

NORMSUTTON wrote:dgposton

most of the guts on this forum don't even use the safety when they carry the P-64 , if you want the safety to be easy you are going to have to take it apart and clean it , there are several threads on this you are going to have to look for them, or you can download this viewtopic.php?t=1536 witch is a good idea anyway

YES they have been wipe off not cleaned and please don't shoot wolf ammo in these guns there are no parts for these guns

NORM
Norm,

Thanks for the reply, yeah I think I won't be using the safety either given the heavy DA pull.

When you say "take apart," do you mean field strip or total disassembly? I can field strip it alright, but I am scared of taking the whole thing apart even though I know there is a guide published on this site for this purpose.

Can I just field strip and clean as is? Do I need to dunk it, though, or just spray it with some kind of solvent and relube moving parts?

thanks
DG
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Just got my P-64!

Post by normsutton »

DG

take the grips off the slide off put the slide and the frame in something not plastic cover the parts in paint thinner. or kerosene, or diesel fuel,over night , then blow off with brake cleaner , clean the gun with WD40 , then wipe off then oil it and grease the rails

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just got my P-64!

Post by dfunk »

I hope with the hammer down?! :o
That SA pull is ultra light!
Yes, hammer down.
1shot1xrag

Just got my P-64!

Post by 1shot1xrag »

I am new member to site. 1shot1xrag. Just received 2nd P-64 yesterday from J&G sales. Did not ask for triangle hammer but received anyway.
From previous information on safety that is sticky. I took advice of take weapon apart and soak in diesel and thinner. I used diesel and MEK. (Methal Ethal Keotone) Let soak in sun for 3 hours. Brushed as needed. Compressed air to dry out. Used Tetra Lube on rails and in spots on safety along with much, much Tetra Lube. Safety still would stick. Kept working it and working it. Used piece of wood dowel to apply press to lever when stuck. From looks of wear marks on weapon, J&G perhaps sent me a "near new" weapon. Have sore thumb today but about 1.5 hour of rotation of safety lever and nothing had to come apart. ( was luck, not skill). Let weapon sit in rag over night and this date safety and weapon functions fine. Had this not worked, next plan of attack was JB Paste in safety area and work parts. Much thanks to previous contributors to this site for plans of action shared. Also much thanks to J&G sales.