Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I shoot double action so much that my single action abilities are starting to fail. The cobra is my cold weather carry pistol, switched to the J frame a couple of weeks ago and when the weather turns worm it will be the Kel-TekP32. The only reason that I haven't gone to a .380 for summer carry is the lack of a hi-cap mag to go with the gun. An extra ten round mag allows me to carry 17+1 with the Kel-Tek full with one in the chamber and a full seven round mag in the other pocket.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

markie, trigger pull is odd to me on this pistol, there was a time when I first purchased it I thought it was crazy heavy, now it seems absolutely normal to me. At first I thought the trigger pull was endlessly long now I consider it perfect for the gun. This is my absolute favorite 45 semi-auto to shoot, carry and reload for.
The gun has been bad rapped by many who have never owned one and none who have owned and fallen in love with them.
Nemia Sirkis is a brilliant gun designer in my opinion and the Cobra Patriot bares that out. Light, accurate and easily concealed with nothing to snag on when put into action.
As you can tell I am an avid believer in this pistol. I have well over ten thousand rounds through this pistol with only one part failure early on and that was the extractor which the manufacturer repaired it at no cost, did I fail to mention the life time guarantee that comes with the purchase.
I'll quit now or I'll go on all evening, needless to say that I believe it to be a great gun.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 21st, 2009, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime

Re: Cobra Patriot 45ACP - A complete POS

Post by jaime »

I purchased a Cobra Patriot 45 ACP about 3 months ago thinking this would be a nice concealed pistol to own as it was small and sexy for a 45. I was psyched as this was going to be a good addition to my collection of guns.

Day 1 at the range, I painfully went throug 2 boxes of 45 ammo. Every other round was a jam or a mis-retraction. The pistol struggled to let the bullets into the chamber and it equally struggled t get them out of the way once they were fired. In addition to the inability to handle ammo, the trigger on this thing was a bear. I had a blister on my trigger finger by the end of this experience. I have to say that I was seriously disappointed on that first day. I could have walked by the garbage can and simply dropped the darned thing in. What a waste of my money is what I was thinking.

After recomposing myself, I took the damned thing home and cleaned + oiled. I was still pissed off, but I figured that maybe it had not been oiled out of the factory. At this point, I am making up excuses for my poor decision to purchase this pile of crap. Never-the-less, I went through the exercise not expecting to get much out of it.

Day 2 at the range, once again, it was a repeat experience from Day 1. I was seriously pissed, but still went through 2 boxes of ammo. I was seriously mad. I went back to the place where I bought this pile and told them about the crazy jamming problems. They told me that I had to break the gun in. This really seemed odd to me as I have not had to do much of this, maybe 3-4 rounds with my Springfield, my Sig and my 1911. My rifles have gone through a couple of round break-in, not boxes of break-in. In addition to breaking the gun in, they also recommended keeping the magazine loaded as that somehow would help to eliminate this problem. I poceeded to keep the mag loaded for a few weeks and then went out again.

Day 3 at the range was a repeat of Day 1 and Day 2. This thing is a total piece of crap I was thinking. Returning the damned thing was not an option as they do not do returns on fired guns. So, now I'm stuck with a pile. So, time for me to start getting a little more creative. I went out to the gun store and bought a couple of 1911 magazines of different brands.

Day 4 at the range with new mags and cleaned gun, loaded magazines, etc. was a repeat of Day 1, 2 and 3. What a pile of crap. At this point, I've spent money destroying ammo, on new mags and wasting my time. I'm seriously pissed. So, I'm thinking, "what's next?".

I sent an e-mail to Cobra through their website, which originally had problems even accepting it's own communication system. I described the problems that I was having and included a name, number, email address and a request for what to do next. Guess what my answer was? Nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Unresponsive, just like their piece of crap gun.

So, next I proceeded to call the contact number to see what was up? I could never get through to a real person. Again, non-responsive, just like that piece of crap that I wasted my money on.

You might be saying, "there's a paper in the box that has an address of where to send the gun back to". Yes there is, but based on them not answering emails or phone calls, I doubt they would be any more responsive simply sending the gun back for Warranty repair.

My experience with the Cobra product that I have purchased has left me one thing and only one thing. I am out of my hard-earned money and time and I am left with a freaking paper weight. I also wrote to the magazine that did 2 articles on reviewing of this gun, I don't know what they were shooting or how many boxes they went through, but they must have bought another gun. The Cobra Patriot has proved over and over again to be a piece of crap. I believe one of the articles was titled, "Quality can be had at a low price" or some crap like that. No, Cobra produces crap and I will never buy from them again. I will send this pile back for repairs, but expect nothing to happen.

elpatosmith@gmail.com
dannylikewingy

Re: Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by dannylikewingy »

So, I used to have a login on this site.....but that was a few years back. I recently re-discovered my Cobra Patriot .45. I had been thinking about getting another small frame .45 acp and started doing some research. I saw the Cobra Patriot mentioned on a few sites. I decided to get the dust off my trusty old Cobra.

For any of you folks that are looking at this gun, I just wanted to mention a few things that I did to get this puppy up and running slicker than snot. My feed ramp was in dire need of some serious attention. It had some fairly pronounced ridges that needed a few swipes of a fine file, followed by some 200, 320, 400, and then 600 grit sandpaper. I also gave the inside of the slide a bit of attention as well.

I have since added a bit of bicycle tire inner tubing to the grip so that the aggressive texture is more manageable.

Also, like Gunney Rabbit, I had to replace the extractor after about 500 rounds. I just had them send me the part and I swapped it out myself.

Here are a few pictures: