What have you been doing lately?Updated 5/13/09

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

I've been working the regular J.O.B. 40hr a week taken care of the wife and kids along with keeping my self working on hobby stuff all the time I can. I recently purchased a Lyman reloading kit so I need a Bench to mount and hold my gear so I've been working on that. Here are a few pics of where I'm at on it.
Just about done with the bench just need to build and mount the cabinet on the top. Then when when its been to late to work in the shop I've been working on making a holster for Zak. Not even stitched yet this is the 1st one. Still have work to do but this is the first step that looks like a holster and you can tell the finish that I'm shooting for. Here are a few pics of where I'm at on that.
Well guys I'm off today slept in late and now time to get back at it. What do you all think of my handy work? Also anything you been working on if so what is it and how about some pics?

C'ya 8-)
Stuckman
Last edited by ipsd on May 14th, 2009, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

Wow, Stuckman, looks like you have been busy.

This weekend we had our annual Bark River Knife Collectors Association Ice In. Folks from the knife association as well as the forum that my work is on come up here to the U.P. and make their own knives (with varied degrees of assistance from us employees). This was my daughters second time to come to one of these functions and she really enjoys making her own knives. Yesterday she made a nice, 7 1/2" blade, chef's knife for herself. She likes the shiny stuff, so the handle was out of black/silver vortex acryllic. I'd post a pic but I don't have a photobucket account and, honestly, don't want to have another online account to try to remember passwords and member names, et. al. If there were some way to just load a pic up here I'd be happy to do so.

Anyway, that has pretty much been the excitement for this weekend here. Ah, we had about 20 people from the BRKCA who showed up for the Ice In, so it was really a lot of fun to meet with them and work with them. They always manage to give us a "challenge" with the interesting designs and handle schemes that they want to try. (And, somehow, together, we always manage to make it work). :)

dus'
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

UPDATE: Got more done to the bench just need to mount the cabinet doors and shelves. Plan on staining it but that is gonna have to wait until another day. Went ahead and mounted the press and popped a few primers and resized a few cases. Mainly just had to try things out. Also tired the case trimmer works great for makin those Luger 9mm brass to Makarov specs. Here is a pic in the current state of working! Yes that is a catcher groove you see in the top.
Right next to the back up fridge in my garage. Not to bad if I say so my self.

Dusty sounds like you keep busy too! Your daughter makes knives too? Now that is something. I thought I had it good when my 11year old daughter asked for a gun of her own! Like to see yours and her work! Guess were the only ones workin it and not just playin on the net! LOL

Catch ya'll on the flip side!
Stuckman
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

Wow, that bench looks really good. I hope to be able to do a project similar to that this spring or early summer in my garage. I want to set up a place to both work on the gun, reload and, probably separately, set up a small knife making area so I can work on some of my own, personal designs. From the looks of it your bench is well planned out even down to the placement. :)

Yes, she does make her own knives. She only goes in with me twice a year, when we have the Bark River Knife Collectors Association Grind In/Ice In but she gets to make one or two knives while she's there. She hasn't graduated to actually doing the final, convex grind on the blade but perhaps by the next one she'll have the experience to try that for herself. She says she "likes making sparks." :) I will see if I can somehow attach some photos to a PM but I don't think that it will work. Otherwise, I do have a folder of pics on my MySpace that is our knives. I haven't added her latest one yet but that will be done shortly. You can also go to [url=http://www.knifeforums.com,]www.knifeforums.com,[/url] click on the forums tab, then scroll down to Bark River Knife & Tool and click on that. When it loads, scroll to the Ice In 2009 pics thread and click on that. There is a sub folder with all of the knives made at this years Ice In. Laura's knife is the first one in the second column. A black handled chef's utility knife. I hope I haven't violated any protocol by posting that link. If so, I apologize now.

dus'
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

ipsd wrote:Then when when its been to late to work in the shop I've been working on making a holster for Zak. Not even stitched yet this is the 1st one. Still have work to do but this is the first step that looks like a holster and you can tell the finish that I'm shooting for. Here are a few pics of where I'm at on that.
Hi - welcome to the forum and great start on your holster. One thing I should say, is that your leather look sort of like glove leather, and most of that stuff is chrome tanned - if this is the case, you may want to stop now, as chrome tanned leather contains salts that eat bluing. Just something to consider. If you need a hand, feel free to PM me.

-df
Last edited by dfunk on March 2nd, 2009, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

Thanks for the input DickFunk. I've never heard that before. This stuff is real thick and what they got me that was already tanned in the colors I wanted. They ask and I told them I was gonna be making holsters so I think they got me the right stuff up there at Springfield Leather Co. Never can tell. I will add that those pics are when the leather was still wet I think I soaked it longer than I should have. Also if I wax harden it will Chrome tanning still eat the bluing just in case that is what I got gonna call them and make sure.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

The tanning process is different than dying. Most people use good ole' veg tan leather in varying weights (measured in ounces). I personally use 7-8 oz leather, which is ~1/8" thick. When stitched and burnished, it makes a solid 1/4"-5/8" edge which is more than adequate for IWB and OWB carry.

I looked at Springfield's website - is this what you got? http://www.springfieldleather.com/store ... oduct=5029

If the leather is thick enough to begin with, you don't need to do anything to harden it - it will stiffen up after it gets done drying. I usually wet mine for about 15-20 seconds under the tap - no longer (you don't want it sloppy).

Anyway, I've found this to be a very interesting venture, as lots of people do lots of things much different from one another and there's always something to learn.
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

The stuff I picked up was scrap from there pile. I told them I was makin a holster and they said it would work find both the black and the Reddish/brown I got too. I put a caliper on the thickness and it measures out to be .113" thick that really close to 1/8" It is really soft not near as stiff as some of the other stuff they sell. I was planing on hardening it as to help it keep shaped nice and tight. Haven't made any holsters but have done plenty of leather upholstery work and small things like wallets and stuff.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

ipsd wrote:It is really soft not near as stiff as some of the other stuff they sell.
Excessive heat hardens leather, but dries it out to the point of cracking and splitting. I suggest getting yourself some 6-7oz or 7-8 oz veg tanned shoulder to tinker with. Here's a G27 rig I finished the other day from 7-8oz (minus the straps).

ipsd

Post by ipsd »

So what are you doing in the last pic! Did you just stain it or something? I recently picked up some more tools and gear for making holsters. Hop to have more pics of stuff soon.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I actually dye it before I even stitch it. I was trying to get a more side-on view but now I realize that I couldn't get focused. Damn camera!
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

Well I've been working again. Here are some pics of my 1st completed holster. This is the same leather as the other and no it is not Chrome tanned! Thanks again for the input Dickfunk
The 1st one was more to see what all I could do with the leather. Not to bad for my 2nd time workin at it. I kinda hoped the back side would look better but I guess I can't have it all on the 1st whole holster!
Last edited by ipsd on March 20th, 2009, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Hey it looks great! Keep at it and don't forget to post photos of your progress.
Well done.

-df
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

Been working again. Got me another holster pretty much finished. Still some more work to get done. But just about there. Once again here are some pics. This is for my Single Six 6.5" barrel

Not perfection but working in the right direction. This is my 2nd nearly complete holster. I will add that it is a cross draw style. I got the my wife into it and she is making her 1st holster for her single six. Never thought it would be this much fun and rewarding. Learn something knew everyday. And yes more tools/supplies and practice are in progress.
Thanks for lookin
Stuckman
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

Well Guys I've been busy working at work and at home. Done a few holsters one the side. So here are some pics.
This was for a Guy I work with. He just got his CC permit.

This is a shoulder holster I made for sla011308

So what does everyone think of my leather working skills? Anyone else been doing anything out there?

Thanks for looking
Stuckman