Dura coat

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
raz

Dura coat

Post by raz »

Does anyone have any experience using the dura coat or dura bake coating? I recently picked up a CZ 82 with some dings. wearmarks and scratches and am wondering if this might give it a better appearance. Let me know...pro and con!
raz
davebaird

Dura coat

Post by davebaird »

Hi Raz! I used Duracoat on camoflauging a Cemte and an HK91. I didn't bother to bake them (couldn't) but haven't had any major issues anyhow. I would suggest baking the finish on a handgun, however. And yes, it works! 8-)

Dave
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Dura coat

Post by normsutton »

raz

I used this on this 45 auto you have to sand blast first and then bake it , you have to do the same thing with Dura coat and Ceramic Hearder pait is a lot cheaper

or you can cold blue it like this one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Dura coat

Post by anjdrifter »

davebaird wrote:Hi Raz! I used Duracoat on camoflauging a Cemte and an HK91. I didn't bother to bake them (couldn't) but haven't had any major issues anyhow. I would suggest baking the finish on a handgun, however. And yes, it works! 8-)

Dave
see link below
you could try this "oven" I made to bake works for me but since Norm turned me on to the header paint that is about all I use now but do bake in this oven. Have also used the alum-hyde with very good results also. it is Brownells version of dura coat.
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?ac ... 193&page=1
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Dura coat

Post by blinddog »

Both of my P-64 are duracoated and I wouldn't have them any other way. I have carried one for over a year now and it shows no wear. I really like the finish and durability. (IMO)
raz

Dura coat

Post by raz »

Hey Blinddog:
Did you do the work yourself? What product did you use and what process? Anything else you can contribute to help me along this road?
raz
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Dura coat

Post by blinddog »

No I didn't do it all by my self. A friend of mine does alot of restoration and gave me a crash course. I did one but he helped out when I needed some pointers.
big54r

Dura coat

Post by big54r »

hey Norm is there any other way to achieve good results with out sandblasting as I have no access to a blaster but would like to duplicolor my p64 and other surplus guns?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Dura coat

Post by normsutton »

big54r

even with Dura coat you are suppose to sand blast it , you might try a blue remover or navel jelly ( blue remover is the same thing as navel jelly , navel jelly is cheaper ) wash off really good with hot water and soap clean off finger prints with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol the navel jelly will etch the steel so you can get a good bond and that's all sand blasting is for

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Dura coat

Post by blinddog »

I like to use beads to blast the frame, and other parts with. I got to try both and I found the beads were alot easier for me.
big54r

Dura coat

Post by big54r »

yeah dog I agree a bead blast would be better and probably easier but I have no access to one and don't know anyone around me who does or I trust not to go overboard with the blast media.
sapo

Dura coat

Post by sapo »

I bought a CZ-82 from J&G before I bought the P-64. Almost all the CZ-82's have wear on the front of the grip frame from the extra magazine rubbing on them in the holster. I blasted mine and Duracoated it in Matt Black. I also bought some tritium sights from CZUSA and installed them on the pistol. Duracoat is easy to use and apply. I have done several guns including my 9 MM sub machinegun.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”.
Hillary Clinton: "We're Going to Take Things Away From You on Behalf of the Common Good"

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Dura coat

Post by normsutton »

Sapo

beautiful job

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter