Thinking about buying a P64.

Info, pictures, advice...
mrjd

Post by mrjd »

I will likely buy from impact guns. From what I can see, they are import marked on the bottom of the frame as opposed to the side like the J&G guns.

J&G
http://www.jgsales.com/images/2%20Polis ... 000837.jpg

Impact
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/s ... sh_P64.jpg

Has anyone ordered from them lately in order to double check this for me? I want one that has as little cluttered writing as is possible. The home page of this web page also mentions discounts for forum members, what is that all about?

Also, I will likely order grips from http://www.marschalgrips.com/

I really just cant describe to you how much i like the looks of this handgun
http://www.marschalgrips.com/files2/Gri ... wattle.jpg

Is that the original finish, or can you guys tell if that is a refinish?

Also, I plan to change out for wolf springs to lighten the DA pull, and I had thought about loading my own 9x18 in order to run a slightly less powerful load in order to reduce felt recoil and night time muzzle flash.

This handgun would be my conceal and carry side arm. Just wanted to talk to those with them and see what they thought.

In terms of my weapon knowledge, I am for the most part a WW1-WW2 collector, and I own a variety of handguns from early lugers to a modern colt commander 1911.

Thanks ahead of time,

Jon
Last edited by mrjd on September 30th, 2008, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

MRJD, yes that is the original finish in the photo, factory original on most of the guns. I think both papabear and NORM have had guns redone in brushed and high polish chrome, Very Very Nice!
Excellent selection as a first carry handgun, inexpensive to shoot, very accurate and a super concealed carry gun. Do lots of reading through out the forum posting for insights fixes and improvements that are all dirt cheap and easy to accomplish. Good luck with your purchase.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on September 30th, 2008, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartoszsitarski

Post by bartoszsitarski »

It is the original finish and Dennis makes great grips. I have several pairs. I love them. As for impact, I can't speak for their quality. I did however go to JG over the weekend and saw their pieces first hand. They are great lloking guns in great shape. Jusst my 2 cents.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
ulmorbust

Post by ulmorbust »

I've recently bought two P64's from J&G Sales, and both models were in 99% original shape... the slide marking they impart is discrete and neatly applied. The photo of the specimen thatyou supplied from Impact looks well-worn by comparison to the J&G Sales models... my 2 cents... ;)
mrjd

Post by mrjd »

I'd love to see pictures of yours if you have them. I was just worried about the billboard import mark.

Originally I had planed on getting a CZ82, but after really getting a look at these, I am impressed based on looks alone. With a few flashy components, people whom are not in the know would think a P64 was a 4-$500 handgun.

So do forum members get a discount of some sort from impact? No worries if not, I also appreciate their lower prices and 2 magazines. I will probably call them in thm next week and see what kind of shape theirs are in. If they could pick me out a pristine example, I'd certainly pay more for it.
pipers

Post by pipers »

Hi there! I'm new here and i discovered this site just 2 days ago and i'm glad i did. I, too, plan to buy one really soon but cant decide where to buy. Impact gun's price is really attractive but the pic on their site is a little bit discouraging. J&G is really a good source from what i've read but i dont like too many writings either. Other sources are keepshooting and empire arms. Keepshooting's price is the highest but comes w/ 2 mags and manual. Description from their site is "excellent condition showing little to no wear from holsters or live fire." Has anyone purchased from these sellers before? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... :)
layer

Post by layer »

I got one from J&G last week and it is so pristine that it looks "like new". The import marks are so clean that the guy doing the transfer began listing the importer as the manufacturer until I stopped him.

I love this gun. One thing I will say, though - it has the stiffest double action trigger I have ever encountered. I need to work on that.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

layer

welcome

just remember to clean the gun up all the way before you shoot it

and let us see some pix

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mrjd

Post by mrjd »

Ordered my P64 from J&G. I called impact, and wasnt impressed by the lady I talked to, and wasnt impressed by their description of the pistol either. Called the person i deal with at J&G, and got it taken care of.

I also ordered a nice set of grips like thos I have in my first post, and I ordered a spring set and 22lb main spring from wolf.

I just finished ordering a box of silver bear and a box of the 93grain privi partisan ammo also.

So, this time next week, I should have some before and after photos and discussion. :)
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

I am also waiting for the day to get my first P64 and have been drooling over the J&G listing for a good long while, along with the gunbroker auctions. Glad I found this place. It seems that I have heard nothing but negative things about this gun.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

hairypolack wrote:I am also waiting for the day to get my first P64 and have been drooling over the J&G listing for a good long while, along with the gunbroker auctions. Glad I found this place. It seems that I have heard nothing but negative things about this gun.
Also check out http://mcsfirearms.com/. You can see a picture of the actual P-64 you're ordering.

Below is one of my P-64s.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

torpeau wrote:
hairypolack wrote:I am also waiting for the day to get my first P64 and have been drooling over the J&G listing for a good long while, along with the gunbroker auctions. Glad I found this place. It seems that I have heard nothing but negative things about this gun.
Also check out http://mcsfirearms.com/. You can see a picture of the actual P-64 you're ordering.

Below is one of my P-64s.
It's beautiful. And I will add that site to my list.
swd

Post by swd »

Just received my P-64 from J&G today. Very happy with the finish (1976 Model) and grips. No marks or rubbing on any of the metal. The Import marks on the left side of the upper reciever were done professionally and actually look like they are part of the orginal stamping. I do think my pistol was in service though but was well maintained. Next is a thorugh cleaning and inspection followed by a visit to the range for some shooting to see how this little pup handles.

If this meets my expectations then it will become one of my CCW pieces.

Shoot Straight and Double Tap
SWD