Money well spent..

Info, pictures, advice...
talon

Money well spent..

Post by talon »

Hello All,

I want to share the mods etc. that I'm making to my P-64 based on the Information* I've recieved from the board members. (In just one week ;) )

#1 Don Hume JIT holster "Gunners Alley" $20.00*
#2 Wolf Spings #16 bought a three pack $13.00*
#3 Zee Grips "Flatties" $17.00*
#4 Handloading Materials $40.00
#5 Polished feed ramp*
#6 Recoil Spring* when available from wolff

And I'm still under a $100.00 ;D

As for loading, I went with LEE products, Starline brass, and Hornady/Speer bullets. I will be using AA#5 powder to start with. In all of my auto's this has always been a great pistol powder.

How do the rest of you compare in your mods and purchases?

Peace
Tal~ 8-)
Last edited by talon on February 12th, 2006, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Money well spent..

Post by abwehr »

Sounds like you are in the ball park for a nice set-up. The biggest cost is the Lee Dies and they will be with you for a looooong time.

Polishing the feed ramp on the P-64 is nice, but I don't think a necessity, but it sure will look good and won't hurt a thing. See my post on your previous thread about polishing. As to the Recoil Spring, I recommend waiting for Wolff to come out with one before changing (my opinion)
kempin

Money well spent..

Post by kempin »

Oh, I thought you meant a "Polish" feed ramp . . .

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I have almost all Lee reloading equipment, including the Makarov dies, and have absolutely no complaints. Please post your load data with AA #5 and range results when you get around to it. I am always looking for more info on handloading the p-64. Win 231 seems to work well enough, though a bit dirty, but I would like to try other things.

God bless and straight shooting.

Kempin
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Money well spent..

Post by abwehr »

I don't reload much anymore since I shoot mostly Military Surplus ammo in the MG42, 1919A4, G3, K98k, FN/FAL. etc, but I now have Lee Loading equipment and love it. When I was casting bullets, and doing a LOT of reloading, I used RCBS exclusivly. The Lee does just as good a job at a lot less cost for equipment. I really like the Win. 231 powder and it was my standard for 9mm and .45 ACP as it measured perfectly from the auto measurer.

I have been thinking about loading for the 9mm Makarov, but I try to get deals on Wolf ammo and so far I can't justify reloading.
talon

Money well spent..

Post by talon »

Hello Kempin,

I like your humor! ;D

I surely will post my results with AA#5 wont be until about April when I start loading. Plus I need to replace my Chrony so I can track velocities. My Brother In Law shot it with his .338 win mag. when we were getting ready for last years Elk Hunt LOL.

AA #5 has been a favorite of mine for about 15 years now burns well and is consistent.

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)
talon

Money well spent..

Post by talon »

Hello abwehr,

I agree with you about seeking out the surplus ammo deals it makes good sense for the 9x18 and others.

However every time I get a new caliber I set up for loading it. Just in case I need it I'm kinda retentive about it ;D Lee carbide dies only run about $20.00 on the average

I'm still all single stage RCBS rockchucker devotee. Been thinking about getting a Lyman turret press for my pistol loading, I'm getting old I guess :o

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)

By the way, I like this boards spellchecker function Its pretty liberal with its word offerings. I was kinda shocked when it gave me a speical word choice for rockchucker LMAO. Try it see what one word is offered for rockchucker ;D *ocksu*ker LMAO!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Money well spent..

Post by abwehr »

Talon,

Yea, when I was reloading a lot, I had dies and accessories for every caliber I shot. I really liked reloading and casting my own bullets. Fall of the year was casting & sizing time since the furnace heat could get bad sometime. Winter was reloading time, and Summer was shooting time.

The RCBS Rockchucker was my first press and I loved it! I also had the Lyman Turret press set up for .45 ACP since I was shooting a LOT of those in matches. Most of my rifle rounds were loaded on the RCBS, and any match load was done on the RCBS.
Last edited by abwehr on February 12th, 2006, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
talon

Money well spent..

Post by talon »

Hello abwehr,

If you ever want to get rid of that Lyman turret Im always looking for a good deal :)

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)
918collector

Money well spent..

Post by 918collector »

I do reload for the mak. Wheelweights go pretty far @ 95gr. per (I'm a bit of a scrounger). I guess I'm showing my age, but my powders are usually Bullseye and Unique for numbers like the 9x18.

I also like the cheap throwaway stuff for when I don't feel like chasing emptys. Not that I don't clean up after myself, I just don't mind not finding all of the non-reloadables. Wearing a hull-catcher is cumbersome.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Money well spent..

Post by nbender »

Abwehr, I don't want to sidetrack this discussion too badly, but you stated: "I shoot mostly Military Surplus ammo in the MG42..." I have to ask, do you own an MG42? Do you post to a site that has MG shoots?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Money well spent..

Post by abwehr »

nbender,

Yea, I have an MG42! The photo of my Avitar is my gun on a WWII German Lafette (Tripod) Mount. I shoot the Romanian 8mm rounds and it is nice surplus ammo.

Here is a link to the MG42 Forum, a great bunch of guys: http://www.panzer46.net/mg42board/

I also have Browning 1919A4 guns too. Here is another Forum on this gun: http://www.1919a4.com/

The belt fed firearms are a lot of fun, but they can sure "eat" ammo faster than I can replace it. Especially with 7.62 NATO going for $230/K WHEN you can find it. Even the Silver Bear commercial .308 is backordered! The 8mm is available at decent prices, butr drying up very fast. I have started reloading the 7.62 NATO and that cost me about .17 cents a round using my Milsurp cases.
Last edited by abwehr on January 11th, 2007, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Money well spent..

Post by nbender »

Wow. What a hobby.