feed ramp

Info, pictures, advice...
rinao272

feed ramp

Post by rinao272 »

Just took my little friend to the smith to have the feed ramp polished. His son write up the ticket as a Mararov, I told him it is a Polish Model P-64 but uses the Mararov 9X18. I wasted my time, he still thanks it's a Mararov - just the kid - not the old man, he knows the weapon.

I asked the Smith about the heavy DA - he said "Learn to live with it, that spring could lift a Chevy" and it was made to use FMJ, not HP's.

OK - I live with it and use FMJ.

G.Gordon Liddy school of shooting = two to the head, one to the chest.

Works for me.

Stay safe. :)
b52stan

feed ramp

Post by b52stan »

Why "live with" the DA trigger, and suffer? Buy the 16# PPK spring from gunsprings.com for $4 and be happy! P/N is 25816. Toll free at 800-545-0077.
And your gunsmith is wrong about the spring. It was heavy because the ammo they had to use had rock hard primers. No longer a problem with today's ammo. This gun also feeds HP, as long as it is in the 90-95 gr range that the gun was designed for.
Recommend you go back and read old posts. All this stuff has been covered.
Trigger spring can be found on EBAY. Search for Polish P-64 pistol parts. There is a guy who tears these down one at a time, and sells parts.
Last edited by b52stan on February 10th, 2006, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

feed ramp

Post by abwehr »

I have to agree with "b52stan", the Hammer Spring should be changed out for a better shooting pistol. We have had so many folks change out to the 16# Spring and all have been successful changovers.

Polishing the feed ramp is a good idea. Even the commercial pistols being sold by the major manufacturers should come with the ranp polished, but most don't. It may not be a problem without polishing, but it certainly helps feeding the round.

It is still funny how many folks still want to call the P-64 a Makarov. The Mak lovers don't like it and the P-64 folks don't like it, LOL. At least there is a place here that we KNOW what we have. Reading the Makarov Forums, there are many of the Mak guys that have realized the P-64 is coming into it own now too.
talon

feed ramp

Post by talon »

Hello Guys,

A couple of questions :)

How would you go about polishing the feed ramp yourself? A little "mothers" with a dremel tool buffing disk. How much buffing? until its a mirror finish? or would buffing the ramp to much degrade the feeding ie.change the angle?

Just ordered the wolf springs yesterday, cant wait till they arrive..

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

feed ramp

Post by abwehr »

Talon,

I have done this quite a bit and I use a Dremel with the cloth buffing wheel and polishing rouge. The rouge Dremel sells is pretty easy on the steel, but I use Semichrome Polish myself.

I use light pressure until the bluing is off and follow the contour of the feed ramp. Then a lighter pressure to "polish" the steel to a dull shine and finish up with a piece of cloth coated with with polish until it shines. Usually takes me about 5-10 minutes.

With a mild polishing medium like Semichrome, you should not affect the or degrade the feed angle. You only want to smooth up the ranp and you should be fine.
talon

feed ramp

Post by talon »

Hello abwehr,

Thanks for the method, I also have semichrome. Will work on it tonight.

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)
rinao272

feed ramp

Post by rinao272 »

TO: b52stan

I'm taking your advice and ordering the #16.

Why do I get the felling that these gun dealers are trying to stiff me? Is because they are. >:(

Again - thank you.
warthog

feed ramp

Post by warthog »

Mine won't feed the Hornady loaded 95 gr HPs with regularity.
If I carry, I load FMJ's and depend on placement. I hope. :P
amd6547

feed ramp

Post by amd6547 »

Hey warthog, you gun hippy!
My p64 feeds hornady with no problem--it is a very mild-mannered load in this pistol. I did polish my feed ramp-
I used flitz polish on a felt dremmel wheel. I don't think I actually had to, it was just practice. The flitz polish is made for jewelry and not very aggressive. A few moments was all it took to make the ramp very shiney and smooth.
That being said, I usually carry fmj or silver bear 115's.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."