TT-33 Pistols ?

Use this section for all other firearms
drogers

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by drogers »

The new issue of Shotgun News has several ads for TT-33 pistols. J&G Sales has Polish one's for $249.95. I.O.Inc. has Romanion one's for $229.95. These use the same ammo as a CZ-52, 7.62x25mm. They are C&R.

Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them?

Thanks,
Don
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by normsutton »

drogers

I think I read some where that it is a stronger gun than the CZ-52
but I don't know for shure
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by trent »

wow cool, but I don't see them on their websites, if it's true then that's better prices than they have been going for lately. what's on the cover of the magazine, I'll try to pick one up.
Last edited by trent on October 3rd, 2007, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by carguy »

Check out the review of the Tokarev on www.cruffler.com.

They rate it extremely well.

I always wanted a Polish one and they are usually much more expensive than $249...not that I'm buying one at that price anyways.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by trent »

is cruffler still in business, I tried to e-mail them yesterday asking a question about the sistemas they have for sale but the I got a e-mail back saying that e-mail address was invlaid
drogers

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by drogers »

wow cool, but I don't see them on their websites, if it's true then that's better prices than they have been going for lately. what's on the cover of the magazine, I'll try to pick one up.
The front has a J&G ad, this is an issue dated October1,2007. Pages 34 and 54.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by carguy »

is cruffler still in business, I tried to e-mail them yesterday asking a question about the sistemas they have for sale but the I got a e-mail back saying that e-mail address was invlaid
I just logged onto the website and saw the review...I think they called it a Polish M48 Tokarev? I don't know about any of their services??? ???
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by garry »

Guns&Ammo Surplus Firearms Magazine has an article about them, If you can find that issue at a local bookstore.
"T-33: The Eastern Bloc's Auto Pistol Supreme,
Manufactured in many countries, this .30 repeater was a curious mixture of Excellent and Mediocre features." The People's Liberation Army of China still has the Type-54 version of the TT-33 in Frontline Service.
That is the beginning of the article. That issue is great and has the artillary Luger, 1891 Carcano, TT-33, 1917 S&W, Rem. Rolling block, Garand, Brunswick rifle, Krag-Jorgensen, Japan type-94 pistol, No.4 Lee Enfield, Astra 400pistol, Winchester Goes to War article, Webley mk VI, Every Marine A Rifleman article about the different sniper guns of the US, ETC.... an Excellent magazine. Enjoy ! G
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by carguy »

What the heck is Guna and Ammo Surplus Magazine? ???

Is that a monthly / quarterly or annual issue??

I want one...what is the date...maybe the library has one... :'(
saands

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by saands »

The TT-33 is one of the best pistols I've shot ... wow ... that was a mouthful, but it's true. Somehow it has been completely overlooked. It shoots the 7.62x25 just like the CZ-52, but the recoil feels more like a 38 special ... and they are accurate. The triggers are a nice single action trigger ... not QUITE like a 1911, but getting into that realm. I still consider my 1911 to be the best shooter I have, but the TT-33 is slimmer, packs a potent round, and is at least as accurate.

That was the good news. The bad news is that almost all of them (and ALL of the newly imported ones) have afterthought safeties installed ... some better than others. The other bad news is that it appears that only the Russian ones are actually C&R eligible ... the addition of the safety pretty much whacks the idea of them being C&R as they aren't in their original config ... well, it doesn't completely rule it out, but it does make it a lot more difficult. All in all, these are on my list of "get one while you can"

Oh ... and the strength issue is an interesting one. The CZ-52 has a roller locking action that is worthy of a high powered rifle round (look at the HK-91 if you need proof) ... but the barrels on the CZ-52's are amazingly thin ... I guy that goes by the moniker of "Clark" on TFL has overloaded the 7.62x25 to the point where it causes the CZ-52 to fail ... it always fails by rupturing the chamber ... the same loads lose their primers in the TT-33, but nothing happened to his pistol. So ... while the action on the CZ-52 is almost certainly stronger than the TT-33 (or just about any other semi-auto pistol I can think of) the pistol as a system doesn't have that advantage and may actually be only marginally able to handle the really hot 7.62x25 subgun loads that are out there.

Hope this helps,
Saands
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by garry »

Hey Carguy, I think the surplus magazine is a Quarterly Mag. I found it at a local bookstore(mom and pop type) It has given me some of the coolest info and article so far out of all the magazines and i can't wait for the next edition. There is no date on it BUTT,(lol) the price stamp says "Display until October 16,2007" so i would guess there will be a new one around that date.

Guns & Ammo puts it out. Sorry I can't give any more info. try looking at the Guns&Ammo site online and maybe they will have it for order. Good Luck, G
Last edited by garry on October 4th, 2007, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by trent »

yea its a good magazine, I've gotten the last 2 issues that came out, they pretty much take articles for surplus guns that are from other magazines and put them all together, I think there is some original stuff in it as well
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by papabear »

Many countries wound up producing the T-33, however it was the Russians that came up with the design, their original pistol was called the T-30, but they had problems with it in the field and eventually came up with the T-33. The main way to tell the difference between a pre-WWII/WWII T-33 and the Post WWII T-33 are the serrations on the back of the slide, the original or pre-WWII and WWII T-33 have the larger serrations on the slide and the post WWII T-33's have the smaller serrations.

Here is some good reading on similar pistols of that era including the Mauser M/96, Nagant M/95 and the Russian T-33

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/PISTOLS2.htm

Russian Pre WWII and WWII T-33

Russian Post War II T-33

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
donnerwetter58

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Aim Surplus now has Romanian TT-33's for $209.95.
They are not C&R due to the addition of the safety.
I think I may have to stop in there Monday and take a look.
Just what I need....another gun...or two?
saands

TT-33 Pistols ?

Post by saands »

If I'm not mistaken, the Romanians have the safety like the Polish ... behind the trigger. The best place for the safety is between the shooter's ears, but if you HAVE to add one to a TT-33, I think that this is the best option. The Russian ones had it kludged together on the side of the frame underneath the hammer ... it BITES when you shoot and isn't worth 1% of the value of the steel that they used.

Saands