finished my 91/30

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

finished my 91/30

Post by blinddog »

All I did was strip the varnish off and let it dry ovenight. I put two coats of dark walnut on it. Then I lightly sanded it to get the color I wanted being careful not to sand any proof marks off the stock. Then I put on 4 coats of tru oil. Rub it until it drys and add the other coats. To get the good shine I applied 5 or 6 coats of caseys gunstock wax and sanded lightly with 0000 steel wool between coats, Polish it up and I think I got a pretty fair finish on it. And thanks for the complements guys. I shot it at the range and got a 2" group at 25 yds and was shooting 2" high. I think it will shoot pretty good at 100 yds.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

finished my 91/30

Post by carguy »

I was wondering...before I start buying M38s or 91/59s etc I want to re-finish my 91//30 so I can become an offender of the MN purists out there like so many of you guys...I feel left out... :'(

My 1925 Izzy looks like it was painted not blued, can I simply strip off that black paint and re-paint? I saw an Enfield refinished on Box o truth and that is all he did...strip and paint (not paint stripped that is just disgusting, if you could see me naked you'd agree). :'(

Am I wrong in the idea that the MN is painted and not blued...it definitely doesn't look blued especially the way it has worn off. :o
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

finished my 91/30

Post by trent »

I found a painted one once (not quite the same as carguy's) at a gunshop recently that was a hex receiver (1932 I think) with a nice grain wood, that was chopped down to a sporter, the barrel and receiver were apparently painted with real cheap black spray paint (and I looks like the owner never cleaned it.) it made me sad, oh and it's been there for months without a buyer (go figure)

it must be interesting when Carguy tries to strip and paint his house
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

finished my 91/30

Post by dfunk »

can I simply strip off that black paint and re-paint?
Don't re-paint, go ahead and just re-blue. There are a ton of options out there, and most recently I used Birchwood Casey Perma Blue. My 38 had some pitting on the top of the receiver when I bought it, so after I fixed up the furniture, I took care of the pitting. The BC Perma Blue is what I used to re-blue it, and the new blue matches the old. I could have sanded more, but the pitting went much deeper than I had originally thought.

Before:

After:(sorry for the crappy quality - batteries were dying)
Last edited by dfunk on October 4th, 2007, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

finished my 91/30

Post by papabear »

dickfunk,

Nice work there, I have used the Birchwood Casey Perma Blue and Brownells Oxpho-Blue, and I like them both. I use a hair-drier to heat the area I am going to cold blue, my biggest problem is I just have to be patient with both and let them do their job and then they both do a fine job as your photo brings out. Thanks for sharing with us.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER