finished my 91/30

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

finished my 91/30

Post by blinddog »

I just had to have one! I got this one from my local-unlocal gun dealer. It has all the goodies with it. All I did was refinish the stock and clean it up. Also I have a very rare Victory single action rifle with swing out cylinder. Can't read the first part, but the second part says Michigan. Anyone know its history let me know!!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

finished my 91/30

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

Nice job on the 91/30

the cap gun came out in the 1980's
its a key chain the bent wire is to push out the spent caps

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on September 27th, 2007, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

finished my 91/30

Post by anjdrifter »

blinddog

did you really think you could get over here with Norm around ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :) :) 8-)
hope you know am joking here..
Last edited by anjdrifter on September 27th, 2007, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

finished my 91/30

Post by blinddog »

Ya' know, I forgot about Norm. Norm you are a wealth of information, I thought I could get one over on you. But thanks for the compliment on the 91/30. It is only the second gun I have tried to rework the stock on. I can't wait to shoot it, I'm gonna get some range time in saturday. Gonna be fun!!:)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

finished my 91/30

Post by normsutton »

I have a small collection of small cap guns

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

finished my 91/30

Post by anjdrifter »

Norm you the man... :-* :-*
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

finished my 91/30

Post by carguy »

Dog: That looks great. What did you use to refinish? I keep saying I'm going to refinish mine but I'm chicken. I know it is exactly what I bought...a $70 rifle, so I can't hurt it but... ???

Norm: I can't believe those cap guns. They bring back memories. I had 2 of the rifles the carbine with the saddle ring and the sharps below it. Wow! You guys make me feel liek a kid again.

Now everyone knows you can't get one over on Norm.
volfandan

finished my 91/30

Post by volfandan »

blinddog,

That looks absolutely GORGEOUS! You did a fantastic job on the wood, and luckily for you....the metal seems to be in like-new condition.

I guess it's safe here to ask what you used to refinish the stock? I asked that question on a post on the MN page forum, and about started WW-III !

I know that Norm told me that he uses a 50/50 mix of tung oil and BLO....which is probably what I'll use on my M-38 as soon as I get her. I'm always curious, though, on what guys are using to refinish these old military stocks.

I did get a private message response from a guy on the MN forum that said that he found a shellac that REALLY closely mimics the original shellac the Russians used on the laminated MN's.

Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=2024
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

finished my 91/30

Post by carguy »

Didn't the russians hit the MN with shellac at the time of rearsenalling them? I thought they were treated with BLO or some such oil originally?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

finished my 91/30

Post by dfunk »

The 91/30 looks amazing! ( :o I think I need a Tula hex...) I used Tru Oil on my 38 and was very pleased with the results.
Last edited by dfunk on September 28th, 2007, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volfandan

finished my 91/30

Post by volfandan »

The 91/30 looks amazing! ( :o I think I need a Tula hex...) I used Tru Oil on my 38 and was very pleased with the results.
dickfunk,

that looks like the stock from some fancy european custom shotgun.....a Joseph Lang or Purdy or the like! That shines like a mirror!
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

finished my 91/30

Post by dfunk »

dickfunk,

that looks like the stock from some fancy european custom shotgun.....a Joseph Lang or Purdy or the like! That shines like a mirror!
Thanks mate! It was a very shiny finish, and I graduated it down with 0000 steel wool and then followed up with a 15 minute rub with a silicone reel cloth. It's quickly becoming my favorite rifle. I have a scout scope mount on the way, so I need to start looking for some glass and rings. ;D
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

finished my 91/30

Post by papabear »

Dickfunk,

That stock is beautiful......... ;D you did some wonderful work there.
I had my 45th class reunion this weekend and have been gone so I just got to see your 91/30 today, I can see why it is becoming your favorite rifle.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

finished my 91/30

Post by dfunk »

Dickfunk,

That stock is beautiful......... ;D you did some wonderful work there.
I had my 45th class reunion this weekend and have been gone so I just got to see your 91/30 today, I can see why it is becoming your favorite rifle.

papabear
Thanks mate! It's a 38. :-[ Blinddog own the gorgeous 91/30.
Last edited by dfunk on October 2nd, 2007, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

finished my 91/30

Post by garry »

Both of those are real beauties ! Mine is shameful compared to those ! My stock is really beat up and dented everywhere, yet, the metal is in fantasic condition almost like new, except for the bolt. The bolt looks like poop.
It is scarred all over.
The magazine and trigger guard look as new as the day they were made.
anyways, I'd love for mine to look as fine as those examples! I am a bit like Carguy on this~ I am scared to start refinishing any of my stocks, I have so many irons in the fire as it is right now , but I am very thankful you guys revealed your method to us all ! I will use them when i finally start doing them ! "Great Job" to all of you guys!