.303 Mauser?????

Use this section for all other firearms
volfandan

.303 Mauser?????

Post by volfandan »

OK, here's the deal:

The other evening a buddy of mine wanted me to go with him to this guys house. My buddy found an add in the paper for a guy selling off a lot of his fishing equipment. So, we went to this guy's house to check out his fishing assortment. We both ended up buying some stuff, and the guy mentioned that he had a few guns for sale as well. I asked him what he had, and he mentioned a Remington 700 30-06 (no thanks, already have one), a Mossberg .410 bolt gun (not interested), and a WW1 Mauser that was brought back from the war by his grandfather (the man was probably in his 60's).

He claimed that he knew nothing about military arms, but was told that it was all original and matching. I am no expert on early 20th century arms, so I asked if it was an 8mm built on a 98 action....like the later WW2 guns. He told me that his gunsmith said that it was chambered for "the British .303 round".

What gives? Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Is his gunsmith a moron? I told him that I wasn't interested, but would list it on gunbroker for him if he wanted.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

.303 Mauser?????

Post by normsutton »

volfandan

on the Enfield forum someone was saying that the GERMANS had a supply of Enfield's that were in 303 BRIT.. at the beginning of the WW 2 but never heard of a Mauser chambered for the 303 BRIT.

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

.303 Mauser?????

Post by papabear »

To the best of my knowledge, there were no Mauser's manufactured in .303, although anything is possible, considering some will convert anything into something else. I do know that the Germans did have British #1 SMLE's .303 rifles before and in WWI and probably in WWII for that matter, but I have never head of a Mauser in .303, someone had to convert it in my opinion, and if it ws converted I would be afraid to shoot it. I am not a ammo expert nor a expert in the size difference in the 8mm and .303 so I don't know if those rounds can even be converted with each other, in their respective rifles...... :'(. I will let someone else that knows such matters answer that question.

I do know that there have been many conversions from the .303 to .308 in the Enfields, which I would "NOT"touch with a ten foot pole, the .308 is a high compression round and IMHO not safe to put in a old Enfield .303. I also know that in 1915 that Remington and New England Westinghouse made MN 91/30 for the Russians, I own both and the bayonets that go with each. You got to remember, before WWI everybody was making arms for everyone else, and still are today regardless of who is at war with who.

I'm not a "Bubba" I prefer to keep the weapon in its original configuration, yes I do clean em up and try to make them look better but as to converting them to different calibers, cutting off the stocks and etc, that's a no no for me, but that is just my personal opinion, no offense to those that wish to convert their weapons.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on September 7th, 2007, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.303 Mauser?????

Post by anjdrifter »

+++++for Papabear, even if I had to cut that stock down recently,not for fun but had to been done...anyway back to the enfield... I too had read that the Kaiser had some enfields in his stock pile.. hey I only have one but really like it..
Now dont forget the Enfields that were converted to shotguns ??? ??? ??? boo.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

.303 Mauser?????

Post by carguy »

The enfield sounds like an all purpose rifle...multiple calibers (some safe some not), multiple purposes (shoot the enemy...after they pay for the rifles we sold them or shoot the rioting prisoners with the bubbafied shotgun).

I always say I like different guns in the same caliber...fun to shoot!

But different calibers in the same gun...scarey!! :o
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.303 Mauser?????

Post by anjdrifter »

+++++++++for you too Carguy... I was looking at that swiss
that was converted to 308....I passed.
the guy said it fine it was done right..done right to me means dont touch and change the innards I try and keep same caliber different gun credo, sometimes I stray when I cant help myself and never feel guilt in the morning.
Last edited by anjdrifter on September 7th, 2007, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

.303 Mauser?????

Post by carguy »

Now if I could just get an Uzi to shoot 9mm and a Thompson to shoot the 45 cal...I'd have plenty to play with!!!

I want one of everything, I can't stand it!

I am really leaning toward another 1911. I don't want a clone I really like Colts. Maybe a compact or officer's model. Isn't the officer the same grip but shorter slide than the commander?

I just saw a S&W 1911 on a local site FTF for $600. That sounds like a steal. What am I saying, if I had $600 I'd buy an M1 Garrand from SOG!!!

Sorry...rambling...I love to hear my own voice or in this case...read my own typing. :o
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.303 Mauser?????

Post by beasleydano »

carguy

Officers Model has a 3 1/2" bbl., shortened grip (6 rds.), Commander has 4 1/4" bbl., standard grip, Government Model has 5" bbl., standard grip (7-8 rds.).
volfandan

.303 Mauser?????

Post by volfandan »

carguy,

Definitely check out Rock Island Armory's Officer's model. They have them at Sarco.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/rockislands-new.html

I REALLY want one of these too! A lot of people around here at the local shops really dog on the RIA because they say that Filipino steel is soft. Bottom line is that I'm not Rob Leatham, and I'm not going to be putting 1,000,000 rounds through any of my guns in my lifetime. They're not raceguns, they're just a good old mil-spec 1911.

Also check out what people are saying about them on 1911 Forum

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdispla ... 91f74&f=32

I've heard that the RIA field rep is amazing, and great with customer service!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

.303 Mauser?????

Post by carguy »

Notice the 3rd bullet point down...No Sales To Massachusetts.

The People's Republic strikes again!!!

I've heard lots of issues with the 3 1/2 barrel versions (Colts as well as 1911 style clones). I have a full size 5" 1911 and am considering something smaller, more concealable but obviously reliable.
Last edited by carguy on September 7th, 2007, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volfandan

.303 Mauser?????

Post by volfandan »

Notice the 3rd bullet point down...No Sales To Massachusetts.

The People's Republic strikes again!!!

I've heard lots of issues with the 3 1/2 barrel versions (Colts as well as 1911 style clones). I have a full size 5" 1911 and am considering something smaller, more concealable but obviously reliable.
carguy,

I'm sorry...I swear I wasn't trying to rub it in. I know assault rifles and high cap mags.......but I didn't figure that a company wouldn't sell a (damn near 100 year old design) pistol that holds less than 10 rounds. Ridiculous.
volfandan

.303 Mauser?????

Post by volfandan »

carguy,

does that mean that a 3.25" 1911 is illegal in MA, or just that Sarco refuses to sell to MA dealers/residents?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

.303 Mauser?????

Post by carguy »

There are no "new" Colts that are legal in Massachusetts.

They have not submitted samples for testing nor do they have all of the loaded chamber indicator, active/passive safteys etc. the AG got into law.

Used, it is fine as long as it is used and already in Mass.

There is a list of handguns that are considered compliant and only these can be sold through ffls. Obviously any handguns from out of state need to go through an ffl by federal law (unless C&R eligible) and the compliance list is for ffls so no Colts.

Now the list does not effect a FTF personal transfer as long as the handgun is already in Mass anyone can sell most anything (as long as you are legal to possess it).

The no sales to Mass also refers to an AG sting years ago where they ordered ammo, mail order, and the distributors that delivered were fined $5,000 for selling ammo in Mass without a Mass license. And you can't get a Mass license to sell ammo without a physical, store front for retail sales. Mass also has a no hi cap mag restriction (post 1994 manuf.) so many distributors just decide not to do business rather than screw around with trying to figure out if they are compliant or not.