Sight Enhancement

Info, pictures, advice...
ozarker

Sight Enhancement

Post by ozarker »

My understanding.. Instinctive shooting is with both eyes open..Take some paper plates. Holster the weapon or until you have some practice, hold the weapon at your side. Focus on the target..Drop into your combat stance and fire. Practive enough and your weapon will follow you line of sight. Target quaility-- No.. Combat effective--Very (with practice)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Sight Enhancement

Post by abwehr »

Yea, "ozarker" is right, keep both eyes open for this type shooting. I also shoot RH, but I am left eye dominant. With this, I had some problems when I forst started shooting, but I can shoot RH or LH with either eye now (well, when I was a little younger anyway, LOL). I can still fire a rifle both LH or RH with no difference. This was great when I hunted a lot. I could sit in the tree stand and have over a 200 deg. field of fire!

Back to the subject, if you have never tried this type combat shooting, it is fun! Don't expect target quality groups, but practice will help a lot.
garrybuck

Sight Enhancement

Post by garrybuck »

Yup, Sykes & Fairbairn found that in an extreme stress situation, your instinct is to look directly at (and focus on) the threat. In a close-up, quick-draw encounter, sights are not used. It sounds weird, but it's amazing how well it works with a bit of practice.
onapar

Sight Enhancement

Post by onapar »

Went to the range yesterday and tried out point and shoot with out using the sights. I had the target at ten yards and was pleased that I could empty the gun and hit body mass with every shot. Not target shooting but surely good enough to stop someone if I had too.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Sight Enhancement

Post by abwehr »

onapar,

That kind of shooting is what you are after in a stress or combat situation; stop the target!

I bet you had fun doing this type shooting didn't you? To me, it is very enjoyable, and as you get better, it impresses your friend with your skill. The only thing they don't know is how easy it really is to do!

The P-64 seems to be a natural for this type shooting. ALso, in a CCW situation, the range will be more in the 5 yard distance and your shots should be even better. Thanks for sharing your experience with this type shooting.
Last edited by abwehr on January 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.