A tale of two P-64s

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
blsnelling

A tale of two P-64s

Post by blsnelling »

I have two P-64s. One is a '69 and the other is a '74. Both appear to be unfired in excellent condition. I received my Wolf springs tonight and decided to work them over.

The '69 has the rounded hammer and the '74 has the triangular one. I like the rounded one on the '69 better but the finish is better on the '74. So I swapped the hammers. While they did install, the notches are not identical and the hammer drop no longer worked. I then swapped the piece that mates against the hammer and still no luck. I even found that if I swapped only the pin that the hammer spring mounts on that things wouldn't line up right. The depth of the notches appear to be different. I finally switched them back to the original configuration. All was well again.

I then disassembled the '74 and polished all the surfaces on the trigger parts. Upon reassembly, I found the '69, although unpolished, still felt better than the '74. I tried both the 13# and the 14# springs in each one and still came to the same conclusion. The '69 felt better even with a heavier spring.

I decided to forget the better finish on the '74 and stick with the '69 since it not only had the hammer I wanted but also had a better trigger. I then polished all the mating surfaces on the '69s trigger as well. I really can't see any reason why the triggers would feel so differently. The '74 feels stiffer and is more stagey, even after the polish. Any way, I'l be keeping the '69 and selling the '74. Teh '74's in nearly new condition with a polished trigger and a 14# Wolf mainspring but just isn't as smooth as my '69 which is wearing the 13# spring. I have not fired either one but will report back after doing so.
Last edited by blsnelling on December 6th, 2005, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

A tale of two P-64s

Post by abwehr »

blsnelling,

Thanks for posting this great information on swapping the Hammers! I would have thought both would interchange. Man, where can you get info like this on this pistol except here! You guys are GREAT.

I have got to find me a late P-64 with the triangular Hammer. My 1967 need a younger brother! I had planned to go to my localk gun shop today or tomorrow, but had to go out of town, so it will probably be next week before I get there. I hope he has gotten some more in!
blsnelling

A tale of two P-64s

Post by blsnelling »

Why do you prefer the triangular hammer? I like the rounded one for concealed carry.

BTW, I decided I wasn't ready to give up on the hammer swap. I did figure that the hammer and hammer spring rod need to go together. The decock still wouldn't work on one, so I swapped the stamped piece in the trigger group that releases the trigger. That worked. Now for the crazy part. Even with the triggers swapped, the '69 still has a smoother/lighter trigger. The only thing I can guess is that it has something to do with the hammer rocking on the hammer spring rod????? So, I swapped everything back to original again and will leave it that way:) Yes, my finger are quite sore this morning. I haveno idea how many times I had these pistols apart!!!
Last edited by blsnelling on December 6th, 2005, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

A tale of two P-64s

Post by dfunk »

It has been said that some "improvements" were made around 1972, with the trigger being the primary focus. I'd love to have these guns field stripped side by side to see what the changes were. I originally wanted a round hammer, too, but am glad I got the triangular. It gives me something to index more accurately and is easier for me to manually cock (that's just my style).
blsnelling

A tale of two P-64s

Post by blsnelling »

All parts are visually identical. It's only upon assembly that differences in tolerence may show up.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

A tale of two P-64s

Post by abwehr »

Finally got to read this thread and it is interesting that the Poles would make these slight changes in the P-64 and not make the parts interchangeable.

If I were going to enhance a design and the product was in service, you certainly don't need to have two sets of parts required, and them be so close in appearance, they would be a nightmare for an armorour.

Ha anyone else tried swapping the parts?
fjblackesq

A tale of two P-64s

Post by fjblackesq »

ABWEHR: the poles were way ahead of the game, they knew that we could never get ANY parts for the P-64... LOL HA HA
mikethewreck

A tale of two P-64s

Post by mikethewreck »

I too now have 2 P-64's (67 and '75) and with stock components the '67 wins the trigger pull contest hands down!

Thanks for letting me know not to switch parts!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

A tale of two P-64s

Post by abwehr »

As to spare parts, I used to keep spares for all my weapons that I shot, but I have only had 1-2 incedents where a part broke, so I don't have many now. I just never needed them and had a lot of $$$$$ tied up in parts.

The only weapon I keep spare parts for now is the Walther G-22 bullpup rifle, and the parts are two VERY little springs. These springs are so small that I have dropped one on my cleaning mat and could NOT find the thing. THis is a great little rifle to shoot, but the small springs are a bad design! When you take it apart they will fall off and you will never know it until the holdopen or magazine disconnector does not work when you put it back together after cleaning.

My problem now is I am a "Magazineaholic"! I can't resist buying spare magazines knowing I will never need that many, LOL. I used to shoot combat pistol with a .45 ACP and these magazine usually take a beating from being ejected and falling to the ground. I had very few failures where I had to replace one. My wife justs shakes her head now when new magazines show up at the door from UPS!