Removing firing pin/spring

Info, pictures, advice...
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Hi:

Just bought my first P64....have been shooting Maks for several years now. One of my friends was buying a P64, talked me into buying one, too.

Anyway, what I need to know is how to remove the firing pin and spring. I like to tear everything down, clean and reassemble before I shoot it....just force of habit, I guess.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks....great board, by the way!
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Welcome to the board!

The safety dropping thread has some info on removing the safety (and in turn, firing pin etc.) -

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1133831696

stibnite
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

Welcome 4bfox to this great forum & friendly members who know
their P 64s inside & out.

:)
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

How about parts for the P64? Firing pins, etc? Or is the P64 firing pin made from better material than my other milsurp pistols...CZ52, Mak, etc.?

I see that I may want to replace some springs....boy the DA trigger pull on this thing is tough!

Thanks again for your help.
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Got the FP, spring, detent and spring out, cleaned up and back in. As you said, it'll shoot right out on you if you're not careful!

Pretty clean weapon.....got it from SOG, appears to be like new. Can't wait to try it on the range this weekend.....
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Success!

How did you hold the FP tensioned when re-assembling? I needed a nice small narrow soft clamp, but could not find anything like that.

Ended up padding my needlenose pliers and then clamping those with some small vicegrips. Worked, but made it pretty unwieldy.

stibnite
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

Used the point on the end of the file attached to nail clippers to push in the plunger. Crude, but it worked after 1/2 hour of cursing. I'll never take that apart again unless I find a better "tool"!
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Had to laugh at one post claiming it took "4 hands" to do this.....guess I'm getting good at this kind of thing, I only had to us 3 hands...

I used a large paper clip, straightened out to hold the FP in while sliding in the safety, then used the clip to press in the detent and finish seating the safety. There was a fair amount of cursing involved, but I got it done in 1/2 hour or so.

Haven't figured out how to remove the ejector, maybe I'll just leave it alone until it gives me a reason to mess with it. For my "library", how does one remove the ejector on a P64?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I did even easier--I let my son do it!! LOL! That was #2 son, BTW, not Christian, it took him a few minutes, but he changed out a broken firing pin for me--just don't ask me how he did it... ;)
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

how does one remove the ejector on a P64?
Maybe NORM will weigh in on this one...

I'd like to know too, got a lot of crap in mine.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

The first thing I do is I find a clear plastic bag I can put both of my hands in and put the gun slide in it ,that way I don't have don't have any springs flying around the room
to take a firing pin out , the first thing to do is to push the firing pin forward then take a pair of hemostats and clip them on the ex stinted part of the firing pin, then with a dental pick push the safety catch plunger in
and turn the safety till it comes out put back in reverse order

to take extractor off take a dental pick and push down on the extractor plunger slide extractor out put back in reverse order

the clear bag is not my idea someone else posted it on this board I think in 2005 but it works you can get dental picks and hemostats at gun shows and car shows that's where I buy them
it's cheaper than the dental supply co.

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Thanks NORM

Here's a diagram that shows the extractor parts (2,3,4) -

Which way do you slide the extractor to get it out once the spring is depressed? ??? Towards the plunger?

stibnite
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

stibnite

Once you get the extractor plunger back far enough it should pop up then slide forward
BY THE WAY IT'S A BEAR TO GET BACK IN

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

while we're on the subject of taking our guns apart...how do you remove the loaded chamber indicator?
Last edited by barnett3006 on February 22nd, 2007, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

its been a long time
but if I remember right after you get the safety out you push in the chamber indicator in and pull down the bar that holds it in place , #9 on the exploded view
at the end of this page
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1134933792

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage