I've got the worst DA trigger known to man.

Info, pictures, advice...
doyle

Post by doyle »

I picked up my P-64 last week. Everything seems in working order except that it has a DA trigger pull that even King Kong would have trouble with. I don't consider myself to have weak hand strength, but this one has me whipped.

I can pull it back only about 3/4 the way back using only one finger. However, that last 1/4 of travel takes using some assistance from my left hand.

My question for the learned members of the group is do I have a hammer spring problem or do I need to look further? Pulling the hammer back single-action style is pretty stiff too.
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

Ya got da classic P-64 DA. SA shouldn't be that hard. Field strip clean n lub n it'll get a little better. Some leave the trigger as is, some replace w/ wolf Springs 4 Walther from 15-20lb pull n some knuckleheads like me just cut 3/4-1&1/2 turns off the hammer/main spring(depending on who ya are) n rock on. Do a search on springs or just go snoopin' on the mods/fix page. Good luck n enjoy. By da way I ain't no learnt member but my member don't mind.........
doyle

Post by doyle »

Thanks. I've read every post on this board I could find about springs. I can understand the "stiff" pull, it's that extra stiffness at the end of the pull that has me wondering if it is just a spring problem or if I have something else going on inside there (like a burr on the metal).

If anybody has a spare 18# spring they really need to get rid of, I'd rather get it off somebody on the board than having to order one.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

nicksterdumes,

Well said, and with flair!!!..... ;D

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

Nuttin' wrong. If ya pull the trigger slow ya gonna hit da wall 2wards da end n it feels like ya need a comealong 2 complete da trip. Pull dat trigger w/authority n it'll work. Still need 2 strip, clean n lub if ya haven't. It will "loosen" up w/time................
Last edited by nicksterdemus on February 8th, 2007, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Funny thing, I thought i had "loosened" the trigger after awhile, it doesn't really give me any trouble now--but I handed it to my daughter to try the other day, and she absolutely could not get it to go without using both hands to pull-Guess i have built up a muscular index finger!! LOL!
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

"muscular index finger"

I can crack Walnuts w/mine.....................................
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

I had the same problem with mine. So I got use to cocking it. Got back from the range and talked to Norm about another matter. I thought I had really cleaned the gun, but I REALLY cleaned the insides with break free. When I got it all back together...the double action is great, must had had some gunk really built up in the spring area.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

himmel,

Been there and done that, I just have 3 p-64's now, have had 5 all together. Gave one to my son-in-law and sold one to a friend, in the beginning they all were a little stiff for me, but after shooting them a few times the DA lightened up for me so I left them alone, but my daughter too had trouble shooting the one I gave to her husband. I think for some changing the spring/springs is a good idea, for me I just leave them the way they are because I like the heavier DA, its like a second safety especially in my CCW, but all 3 of mine have a lighter DA pull now than when I got them, just my $0.02 worth.

Papabear
Last edited by papabear on February 8th, 2007, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Yes, I'm sure mine is a bit lighter too, just not as light as i thought--LOL! My daughter and I have this running joke about me finding "the perfect carry gun" for her...guess I'm back to the drawing board...LOL!
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

Carry with the chamber empty. When you are ready to shoot it only takes a fraction of a second to rack a round. Nice smooth single action after that. Chamber empty is safer as far as I am concerned. I guarantee if you need it for defense you will not loose any time getting a round chambered~
saands

Post by saands »

I guarantee if you need it for defense you will not loose any time getting a round chambered~
Carrying with an empty chamber may be the best for some people. You need to think about it for your particular case. I think that the guarantee above is worth only what you paid for the opinion behind it. I'm sure that if you train enough, you can get to the point where you can draw and rack your slide and put a hole in a target as fast as someone that hasn't trained, but I doubt that you could do the same thing while you were using your weak hand to keep the bad guy off of you or to maintain your balance ... or to push your SO behind some cover. Like I said, carrying on an empty chamber might be right, but no way in heck is it just as fast.

Have you ever done the knife drill where someone charges from 21 feet and you draw and put a controlled pair into the target in front of you ... after two days and 750+ rounds, 6 of 10 in my last pistol class didn't even get a shot off before the 60+ year old instructor made it all the way to the firing line ... and of the 4 of us that got shots off only two hit the target ... and we weren't even under real stress :o Add a racking operation to that and it would have easily been 0 for 10 getting shots off.

Just another opinion ... worth no more or less than the previous.

Saands
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

"a fraction of a second to rack a round"
While I don't doubt ya that is a 2 handed operation.
Myself, I like manipulating the sidearm w/1 hand.
I've a bum L thumb that's know 2 jam.
2 each their own......................
Last edited by nicksterdemus on February 8th, 2007, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I carry with one in the tube, and the safety on, however, I don't have a problem with the DA pull on any of mine. I practice with a one hand hold also, strong side right and weak side left, also practice using both hands, sometimes I carry two P-64's, depending on where I am going. The reason I don't carry three is after two I get confused..... ??? Key word here is "PRACTICE" know your weapon, know your ammo, and know you limitations, but practice often.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER