Really off topic! any input?

Info, pictures, advice...
qarlo

Post by qarlo »

Interesting post dane, but I was raised from age 4 by the last of "The Old Guard" (i.e. 1950s - 1963 military) and for that reason alone, I primarily only see things and have opinions from an almost entirely military prespective. I guess this would come from having a DI/NAM vet as a father and being put through early 60s era boot camp at age 10. I personally can't imagine a world where I couldn't own a weapon or there wasn't someone to fight. I don't think this makes me a war monger by a long shot, but I'm definately not for world peace, as I'd be out of a job as no one would need PSOs or Mercs, let alone regular soldiers.

I tend to look at weapons (ALL weapons) as an extension of human ingenuity that has "attitude", moreso than them being some kind of evil that is taking away provisions from a needy kid in Africa or the Middle East. Since I am a Christian I know that since Cain rose in the field against Able there has been war and there will always be war until the final battle, thus I don't lose much sleep over things like this, though I do find it interesting none the less. I also love that TV show as well as anything on *The History Channel* as I'm a self taught Historian, especially in the military history side of things, though far from being an expert, but I'm well versed in the writings of T.E. Lawrence, Ernesto "Che" Guevara, and have studied most of the greats. I think since man's sin nature is inherent that there will always be a need for the tools of the trade that others must use to oversee a society that has some modicum of law and order, since we all know most of what is law (on the books) is BS to begin with, and usually only ever affect only those who are law abiding to begin with since criminals don't care one way or the other.

Personally I find things like RamJet Rifles, and a Phase Plasma Rifle in a 40 watt range pretty freckin' cool.
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

In biblical days it was 2 opposing armies on the battlefield with personal weapons, not WMD's that kill civilians. Just some food for thought for those that follow the 6th commandment. I don't think it applied to soldiers in battle, but I am sure it does to innocent civilians - little children are not enemies

[Lev 26:7] And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword.
qarlo

Post by qarlo »

In biblical days it was 2 opposing armies on the battlefield with personal weapons, not WMD's that kill civilians. Just some food for thought for those that follow the 6th commandment. I don't think it applied to soldiers in battle, but I am sure it does to innocent civilians - little children are not enemies

[Lev 26:7] And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword.
Quoted for Truth.

I wasn't looking at it from the prespective of WMDs or Nukes though. I was thinking more along the lines of the technological advancements in the small arms area. And while I have no intention of using anything for ill reason, (I'm in the Private Sector of Security after all + FRO or Fugitive Recovery Operations) I'm overly intrigued by weapons I'll never have a use for nor would be implemented in my respective field. When I mentioned the Bible I was speaking on the terms of not being surprised by anything that comes down the pike concerning weapons dev, nor human behavior for after all we're all sinners and the human inner mind is inherently sin saturated. But even that can be controlled to a point.

A good point you make though and I thank you.
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

I liked the Reagan "old guard" way. He was a GREAT statesman and diplomat seeking a peacful solution, imploring Gorbachov to "tear down the wall". The Iraqi cowards who hide in residential areas are nothing more than street thugs. The "war" was over in days. We are now policeman in a ongoing street battle with criminals. This whole this is terribly wrong. Future weapons should be allowed. Anything to take out these criminals and keep civilians and brave American Troops from being hurt should be employed full force. This Geneva Convention is a load of crap. Switching from the .45 to the Nato 9mm is a great example of stupidity. Use the most effective weapons, get the job done and GET OUT! In the future lets STOP dealing with the third world lunatics. If Iran actually becomes a Nuke threat drop a bomb on their enrichment facility. Engage in real world threat justified battles with hard enemy targets, and keep out of door to door street wars that cost so much in innocent lives. The only place I take exception would have been a 300,000 troop (MM quarterbacking) ground search for Osama Bin Forgotten with everything we had. Just had to rant on this post. Qarlo I agree with you.... Nothing wrong with a little politics here. After all we can all agree on one thing... NO Hillary in '08! In replay to space's post about giving the terrorists $1 Million..There were no terrorists in Iraq before the war, just a country of controlled subjects for the evil dictator. I say we should have put a 10 Billion Dollar reward for the heads of Sadaam and his sons. Pay it and let the Iraqis sort out what was left!
Last edited by vermonter on February 6th, 2007, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.