9 x18mm Loading Info

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

9 x18mm Loading Info

Post by abwehr »

I just ran across information on reloading for the 9 x 18mm Makarov cartridge on the makarov.com page and thought I would pass the information along in case you have never seen it.

http://makarov.com/makload.html
saands

9 x18mm Loading Info

Post by saands »

One thing that I've noticed about reloading for the 9x18 ... loads that seem well within the limits of safety when fired from a PM (real Makarov) can exhibit scary signs of overpressure (like some SERIOUS Glock like bulged cases) when fired out of the P64. Just a note to be careful and work up your loads in YOUR pistol.

One other thing I've noticed is that my loads run faster out of the shorter barrelled P64 than they do out of the PM ... don't know what that's all about, but I'm suspecting that the P64 barrel might be a shade tighter and therefore boosting my pressures a bit. ??? ???

Saands
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

9 x18mm Loading Info

Post by abwehr »

Saands,

You make a good point about reloading for any ammo......Work up the loads for YOUR firearm as most of the reloading manuals suggest. Normally, I load to mid range and work from there. Thaks for posting this information about yur experience!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

9 x18mm Loading Info

Post by papabear »

One thing that I've noticed about reloading for the 9x18 ... loads that seem well within the limits of safety when fired from a PM (real Makarov)
Good information here about reloads in general and especially for the 9x18 and much appreciated. I don't reload any more, but I am interested in the ballistics of all ammo and their effects on shooting, however, and I'm not trying to start a flame on this, but I am still in wonderment why people call or relate the P-64 to a Makarov. The P-64 does use the 9x18 round, but the Polish CZAK P-64 and the Hungarian FEG PA-63 both use the 9x18 round, but are not Makaorv PM's. I guess this debate will go on for ever, but a informed person will know the difference. Thanks "saands" for your input.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
saands

9 x18mm Loading Info

Post by saands »

I have been reloading for quite a long time and maybe I have been careless in this, but I have always assumed that the primary variation that caused a need for me to "work up" my loads was the variability in the components and that "work up the load for your gun" really meant "work up the load for the set of components you have at this point in time" ...

My first 9x18 pistol was a PA-63 (also NOT a Mak) so my loads were worked up for that pistol. When I shot them in a PM, they were fine (and felt a lot milder thanks to the weight of the PM's steel frame). When I got a P64, I didn't even think twice about topping off a mag with my favorite spicy 9x18 loads ... I have to admit that I was SHOCKED to find that they were over the top for the P64 ... I realize that the PA-63, PM, and P64 are all different, but I expected them to all behave the same with the same 9x18 loads ... I was wrong (and probably a little lucky) and I just wanted to pass that bit of luck onto the next guy ... just in case he has diligently and safely worked up his loads for a different 9x18 pistol.