kinda off p64 subject

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

kinda off p64 subject

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

You did hit the old "nail on the head"! I have seen the same scenario in gunshops and wanted to butt-in, but kept my mouth shut. My wife has a very tough time with the slides on aoutmatic pistols. This is reason she has a Charter Arms .38 Spec.....she can handle this one fine! Unless you are familiar with firearms, leave the autos alone until you learn more. The revolver is the safest pistol to use and easy to learn.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

kinda off p64 subject

Post by himmel »

Glad I'm not the only one who has had the same feeling! Is the Charter an old ("original")one, or a Charter 2000, or one of the new ones marketed by MKS Supply? I see the new guys have re-introduced the .32 'undercoverette', I keep thinking of these things for my daughter if she decides to get her CCL
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

kinda off p64 subject

Post by himmel »

You got a point there, beaslydano--my dad DID start me out with a single-shot 410, it didn't exactly kill me on hunting, but it could have...

himmel

You are right on target! My wife and I both like the S&W Airweight Bodyguard. A good double action revolver is best for most newbies to start with. And there are still a lot of experienced pistoleros who prefer them over semi-autos. The way some people introduce newbies to the gunsports with firearms that are unsuited to them can lead to a complete lack of interest. It is as true with sporting arms as it is with self defense weapons. For example, your son wants to hunt so you get him a .410 that he can't seem to hit anything with or a single barrel 12 gauge shotgun that kicks him like a mule. First impressions mean a lot to a newbie and the harm is already done by the time you substitute a semi-auto 20 gauge sized for him.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

kinda off p64 subject

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

The Charter Arms .38 Spec. is one of the old one. It actually belonged to my Mother. My Dad bought it for her in the early 1970s. She actually ran a guy out of her yard (after my Dad paased away) one night. He was "lurcking" near the house and she went to the door with it cocked and told him he better leave or she would shoot. She would have done it too!!

The quality of the early ones are very good, but the finish is not what a S&W was. Still, it is a very good pistol to keep around the house!