STOP clipping springs

Info, pictures, advice...
vermonter

STOP clipping springs

Post by vermonter »

I realize that many of you are doing mods to your springs to make the DA pull lighter. I have read of light primer strikes on guns bought with this type of mod done. The heavy DA pull was done on purpose according to someone I xchanged Email with at Radom. It is designed to eliminate an accidental discharge while covering a suspect with the finger on the trigger. We all know if there is an intruder in your home at 2 AM you will have your finger ON the trigger, not alongside the frame as we do in safety class. You adrenaline will be more than enough to make the heavy DA pull seem like butter when you have justifiable cause to pull the trigger. If you do not, a light trigger might mean the end of you in court. Also a clipped spring may come back to haunt you. If you are concerned at the range, just start firing in the single action mode, and carry with the heavy (safe) DA first shot, chamber loaded. I would be really pissed if someone sold me a gun with a trigger that MAY cause a light strike during a defensive situation. These springs are hard to come by anyway. Once you clip it you are stuck with it. Enjoy the P-64 for it's engineering. If you want a light trigger get a tuned 1911. STOP clipping springs!!!!!
steve98664

STOP clipping springs

Post by steve98664 »

I agree to some degree...... I don't agree with permanent modifications to a pistol that may affect safety. However, I'm not sure that performing a restorable modification is that bad. I save all original parts... I would not sell a permanently modified pistol. I noted on GB that most guys who have done a hammer spring mod mention it there....

Here is a question. If I buy a tuning spring set from Wolff to tune a PA 63 am I gonna be sued? They are readily available. They sell different recoil and hammer springs. How is this different for a P64?
vermonter

STOP clipping springs

Post by vermonter »

I understand your point. However some people are doing mods on original Radom factory parts and not saving them for return to factory original for re-sale. Also most of us are not expert gunsmiths and armorers, certainly not spring manufacturing experts. Slapping in Wolff replacements that are engineered by Wolff's expert team FOR THAT WEAPON is fine. I do it all the time. Taking springs made for other guns and clipping them is not something that my gunsmith friends, or my armorer friends would ever do. I am just saying if they are not made for the gun by Wolff or some other precision machining/engineering company specializing in springs for THAT weapon, don't install them or mod them and then re-sell. Someone posted here that he bought a P-64 from a dealer who did mods and then sold them. He did get mis-fires due to light primer strikes. I'm sorry but the dealer is neglegent doing this! Bottom line Wolff needs to get on the ball and make some P-64 specific spring sets....
Last edited by vermonter on January 30th, 2007, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

STOP clipping springs

Post by duggi60 »

A gun dealer who does an amatuer job with a spring mod. is
just as bad as a P64 owner tinkering with his weapon & lacking
knowledge. Both are wrong to alter this weapon, the dealer
is legally liable if the weapon's function is a possible danger to
others as is the amatuer gun tinker, as the unit should be
range tested extensively. If a qualified spring maker sold kits
for the P64 that would be great, however when changing things
yourself test & test again at the range.
nicksterdemus

STOP clipping springs

Post by nicksterdemus »

Much 2do about nuttin' as I see the spring "issue". Taking 3/4 to 1 n 1/2 turns outa that POS mainspring is greatest thang since sliced bread. That mod in no way will be considered as a hair trigger. I have a couple of sidearms in semi auto n wheelgun that w/no mods are a 'ell of a lot easier 2 pull in DA. I'm not loading any hard arse submachine primered rounds so I have no need 4 the gorilla spring. I don't consider the 64 as a collectible piece as much as a military surplus sold cheap n meant 2 be used, A bunch. As a matter of fact it could be argued that as a safety issue you performed a mod to the mainspring. You need to be accurate @ first DA so ya don't hit the wrong person. I live in a very gun friendly state. While we don't employ the "sundowner" law of Texas no1 that shoots the bad guy goes 2 court. It also could be argued as well that purchasing a used unaltered sidearm makes you liable for not replacing all springs to factory specs. By the way would I place myself in jeopardy by whackin' a bad guy w/Aluminum bat when I had equal access to a kinder n gentler Louisville slugger?

Ya'll do as ya wish. The 64 couldn't be made n sold on todays market w/original mainspring. I agree that replacing the spring w/Wolf Spring replacements would be the better avenue. If n when mine fails or approaches the dangerous hair trigger I'll let ya know.
You are responsible for any n every firearm you own. You are the one that needs to tear it down for a visual inspection. You are the one that needs to practice w/it to insure competent function as an extension of yourself. Use common sense. If the DA is as easy as SA then ya need a stronger spring. A target weapon is not suitable as a duty or concealed weapon and visa versa. And as always ever1 has their own opinion & every argument has it's own merits.........
Last edited by nicksterdemus on January 30th, 2007, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
vermonter

STOP clipping springs

Post by vermonter »

One more reason to keep my P-64. I got it from SOG and when they dry up I know it is factory original. What is the Texas Sundowner law? I do not think TX is not the gun friendly state they claim to be. Any state where they arrest you for "printing" is not gun friendly. I like KY much better!
Last edited by vermonter on January 30th, 2007, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicksterdemus

STOP clipping springs

Post by nicksterdemus »

Sundowner is the right 2 shoot any1 on your property after the sun goes down as opposed 2 waiting 4 them 2 break in2 da house. So if ya see some scumbag stealing ya junk & ya wanna shoot 'em well then shoot 'em..............
I'm not sure if this law is still intact as I don't live in Tejas..................
Nuttin wrong w/keepin' original. I advocate that ya do what ya wish within reason.
I speculate that they won't dry up 4 a decade or two. I have no proof of this but seeing how the CZ-52 is still around 2 be had & was only made from 52-56 while the 64 ran from 64-77 n guessing that Poland n Czechoslovakia are close in size I think it'll be while.
I'm wrong almost as often as I'm right.........
Last edited by nicksterdemus on January 30th, 2007, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.