Almost lost a Part

Info, pictures, advice...
redfestiva

Almost lost a Part

Post by redfestiva »

I bet this has happened to some of you before. Yesterday I took my newly aquired P-64 to the range and fired about 75 rounds through it. All is going well when I notice the grips are loose. Would'nt you know it , the little round grip nut is gone! The range is grass (and muddy) and I've been been all over the place by now so I just know it's gone forever. I was pissin & moanin over it and my friend started looking around for it. I told him it was hopeless that it could be anywhere and I could'nt believe it, he bent down in the grass and said " is this it?" That eagle eye picked that pea sized black nut out of the grass! I will be keeping a close eye on that from now on. I doubt that is replaceabe. I think I read on here somewhere that you have to get a hex nut and blacken it out or torch it to blue it. To all new P-64 owners "make sure that grip nut is tight".
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Almost lost a Part

Post by space »

Yep, lost mine the first day out. It's a 3mm nut and you can find small black ones at most hardware stores. They have the 6 sides but they work.

Glad you found yours.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Almost lost a Part

Post by abwehr »

Yea, I have lost one too. I got a standard hardware store nut and ground the corners off. I kleft enough for it to "bitr" ever so lightly in the plastic to hold it in place. It took a while for the grinding, but looks pretty good. Since the nut was plated, I used som black paint to make it look close to the color of the grips.
zoostation

Almost lost a Part

Post by zoostation »

Well I'm now in the club. I lost mine at the range over the weekend. Didn't discover it missing until later. I saw the hex nut fix and will be doing that I guess. The good news is my unissued P-64 cranked out 200 rounds of Silver Bear hollow-point without a single malfunction. I've been scouring the web looking for a closer-to-original looking solution but no luck so far. Plus the fact that I know dick about metric sizes and small parts doesn't help. But I'll let you guys know if I find something!
Last edited by zoostation on January 10th, 2007, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Almost lost a Part

Post by himmel »

I STILL haven't found the 3 mm nuts at the hardware stores here...but I had one when #1 son lost the original grip-screww nut, I did the grind-off thing too...
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Almost lost a Part

Post by duggi60 »

My local in town hardware store has 3mm nuts for 8 cents a
piece, I bought 5 of them when I took my two Maltese dogs for
grooming.

;D
zoostation

Almost lost a Part

Post by zoostation »

Found some. Started at my local HD, they only had them as small as 4mm but directed me to the local True Value. Went there and....yeah! They had them right there, M3 w/ .50 pitch. Took them home and blued them by heating w/ a mapp torch until red hot then quenching them in household oil, took about 5 quenches to get them nice & dark (thanks Norm for the idea).

I put one on and it looks fine. So small really no need to worry about rounding it out in my eyes. Actually I think I like it a little better than the other :D