OT - Stoeger Cougar 8000

Info, pictures, advice...
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

OT - Stoeger Cougar 8000

Post by space »

I am intersted in feedback on the Stoeger Cougar 8000.

Anyone have one of these? I'd like to get a hi-cap 9mm before they reinstate the crime bill. Probably won't happen until '08 but I'd rather not wait.

I have been looking at Bersa Thunder 9 as well as S&W sw9ve's as they are all in the same price range (300).

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handgu ... 8k_121106/
steve98664

OT - Stoeger Cougar 8000

Post by steve98664 »

I have heard that the Stoeger Cougar is just the same as the Beretta of the same name. I read that parts are completely interchangable. Highly recommended in private posts I've read. I can't verify all of this because I don't have one.

CDNN has an awesome price on these. I Read up on it because my recent purchase from them was between the Cougar and the ZDA's they're selling. I got the ZDA (Zastava is the mfr), but the availability of parts was a huge plus if all I've read is correct.

The ZDA I got is outstanding. 600 rounds through it this weekend without a hitch. The aftermarket 10 round mags I got were not impressive, but the ZDA 15 round mags are great! Same pistol as a CZ-99, TZ-99, or CZ-999 I guess.

CDNN is really an easy dealer to work with. Shipped an item quickly, cheaply, and without issue to my FFL. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

OT - Stoeger Cougar 8000

Post by beasleydano »

Sorry I do not have any personal experience with the Stoeger Cougar but it looks like a deal to me. It does appear to be essentially the same as the Beretta Cougar and they were great guns, just a little pricey. Same for the ZDA, if it is the same as the TZ-99. I had a TZ-99 that shot great but I sold it to a fellow officer when I was with the Sheriff's Dept. I figured then that I would never miss it because of all the Sigs that I had then. If you do get the Cougar please post and let us know more about it.
zoostation

OT - Stoeger Cougar 8000

Post by zoostation »

The Stoeger is built on Beretta Cougar mfg. equipment that was shipped to Turkey. The gun rags rated it highly but then again there's reasons why we call them gun rags. I'm always a little leery of Turkish gun quality myself but maybe they're getting better or Beretta might be keeping them on a short leash with this one. If I'm not mistaken Beretta still owns Stoeger.

One neat thing about the Cougar is it is one of the very, very few mass-production pistols ever made to operate on a slotted rolling barrel which slides on a pivot to lock and unlock the breech. Basically this has two advantages over the traditional Browning system. Tighter lockup tolerances for increased accuracy, and reduced muzzle flip. I have the Beretta pistol which is the Cougar's offspring, the Px4. It shares the same operating system as the Cougar on a polymer lower and is one kick-ass accurate and reliable handgun. And I don't even like Beretta the company and I'll say that.

For the 300 bucks or so those are going for, I'd say it might be one of the best deals out there in pistols (along with P-64's of course ;D ) I think its well worth it. My opinion is its probably a better pistol than the Bersa and certainly better than any Smith Sigma.
Last edited by zoostation on January 10th, 2007, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

OT - Stoeger Cougar 8000

Post by beasleydano »

Space

I could not agree more with zoostation, especially in regard to the Bersa and Sigma.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

OT - Stoeger Cougar 8000

Post by space »

Well I went ahead and got one on Monday afternoon. It's really pretty nice. Came in a nice case with two 15 round mags for $329.

papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

OT - Stoeger Cougar 8000

Post by papabear »

Thanks all for the info, Space, thanks for the pic, please let us know how the Cougar shoots with a range report, interesting pistol, a bit to modern for me, but I'm still interested in what all is out there.

Papabear
Last edited by papabear on January 10th, 2007, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER