Glad to find this site

Info, pictures, advice...
918collector

Glad to find this site

Post by 918collector »

Hello,
So glad to find you guys. Just recently bought a P-64. I own 2 other 9x18's, a Russian Mak & a PA 63. Bought this one because it is more compact, than either of the other 2 and quite thin as well. I have several other handguns but this is the best combination I have found yet without going to a mousegun. It even seems to be somewhat de-horned, which is great.

The round is great, too. I have NEVER had ANY 9x18 gun malfunction, ever. I have found it very easy to reload and have cast bullets for it from the Lee mold. The simple shape with the one grease groove casts very easily.

If you guys have any good ideas about the best concealable holsters , I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Mark
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad to find this site

Post by anjdrifter »

welcome I am fairly new to site myself it is about one of the best not just because of the topic the people on it. as far as holsters cant really help I have too many for each weapon I have it is my quest to find the perfect one. as I said in earlier post I like my pocket best for the 64 it seems the best way to carry.
al
Last edited by anjdrifter on January 3rd, 2007, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Glad to find this site

Post by papabear »

918collector,

First, welcome aboard, glad to have you here. I use a clipdraw and pocket hoster for my CCW, check out these sites.

http://www.clipdraw.com/

http://www.desantisholster.com/n38.html

click on to enlarge

Papabear
Last edited by papabear on January 3rd, 2007, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Glad to find this site

Post by abwehr »

918collector,

Welcome to the P-64 Forum! This is a great bunch of guys here and a lot of knowledge on the pistol. When you get a chance, read the old posting as there is a lot of good information.
918collector

Glad to find this site

Post by 918collector »

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I appreciate the advice. The Clipdraw might be the best option as it is a thinner proposition than even the smallest IWB, but I do want to protect the finish. The gun is very pocketable.

Does anyone know if the thumbrest is original for these or is it an add-on to get the required number of BATF points?
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad to find this site

Post by rlj102468 »

Add on from what I know. My 1970 came with flat grips.

C-Ya, Bobby J.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Glad to find this site

Post by papabear »

Some say that the BATF was the cause of the thumb rest grips so they could be imported here, if that is true or not I don't know, but the original grips for the P-64 were flat and without the shinny finish.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
918collector

Glad to find this site

Post by 918collector »

I understand that the BATF has a points system that is applied to import handguns. Basically, if they have "target cred", they can be imported as "nice" target guns. If they don't accumulate enough points, they are "bad, Saturday Night Specials" and can't be imported. My Russian commercial Mak (which you can no longer get anyway, thanks to Mr. Clinton) has a fully adjustable rear sight (rickety, but serviceable) and consequently can have flat grips. My FEG PA 63 has fixed sights and went the cheaper route - they replaced the left grip with a thumbrest, which I filed off.

At least the P64 has a small one which helps with the short grip. It reminds me of the "wrinkle" found on the mini-Glocks.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Glad to find this site

Post by abwehr »

I am with most others about the thumbrest grip. It just does not feel comfortable in my hand. All my P-64s have flat grips and I especially looked for flat grips if I had a choice when I bought them.

I think "918collector" is correct about the "Point System", and this was an easy way for the importer to bring them in.
918collector

Glad to find this site

Post by 918collector »

My only beef with thumbrests is that it makes them thicker and therefore less concealable. And it certainly makes them more uncomfortable to carry. Even the heel catch mag release and the lack of a slide lock release are positives in this light. Our little gun seems almost tailor-made for concealment. Funny that the Europeans outfit these guns with the big flap holsters.

I've tried a lot of different handguns and most of them get annoying to carry after a while. If open carry were allowed, anything would do. Here in Alabama, CC permits are easy to get but the the weapon must be concealed at all times.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad to find this site

Post by beasleydano »

918collector

Welcome to the forum. I certainly agree with you on the thumbrest grips. Some folks like them but to me they are an aberration. I got my P-64s with flat grips and have changed to flat grips on my Maks and PA-63. Easier to carry concealed and easier to shoot right or left handed. I have military flap holsters mostly as collector items but use IWB or pocket holsters for concealed carry.