P-64 Range Time

Info, pictures, advice...
GuitarmanNick

P-64 Range Time

Post by GuitarmanNick »

It has been too quiet in here for too long so I decided to break the silence.

Lately, I have been spending time on a G-43 clone build using a Polymer80 PF9SS frame. It has been giving me some difficulty when shooting. The gun is accurate, but has such a wall when I pull the trigger, that I cannot hold the muzzle up as it breaks. This pulls my shots very low.

To test whether my skills have suddenly diminished, I took the P-64 on the last range trip. The tiny sights and short radius are a good test for my eyes and checking my shooting mechanics.

After shooting terribly with the new build at 20 feet, I pulled out the P-64, ran a new target out to 30 feet and put 12 headshots into it. Ran it out to 25 yards, and plastered the chest with a nice group. Put 100 rounds through it and was feeling good about my skills when packing up. Was especially happy that I own several of these accurate little guns.

Some new parts coming for the new build that will hopefully improve the trigger without sacrificing reliability soon, so it will get another outing in the near future. I always take a second gun with me when testing so I will always be able to continue if tests do not go well. My P-64 shooter is a favorite and never disappoints.

I can't be the only one that still has love for the P-64.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P-64 Range Time

Post by Ketchman »

No you are not alone, I still carry mine often although ammo is getting harder to find regular. Did you say a polymer G-43 frame? I am wondering of that is not 1/2 the issue as it might be flexing from the stress of spring resistance?
Anyway, glad to see there is still life here.

Ketch
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Polymer is actually very stiff and strong although not impervious to chemicals or heat. Use the right lubricants and it will not deteriorate.

After researching and inspecting my G-43 clone, the Glock OEM connector seemed to be the center of the problem. Never had an issue with OEM parts on any of my other builds. This connector is absolutely terrible and polishing the contact surfaces was little help.

I ordered a Ghost Edge 3.5 connector with a Wolff tuning spring kit which arrived yesterday.

Installing the new connector transformed the trigger into smooth and predictable pleasure @ 4.5 pounds. Adding the Wolff striker safety spring paired with a 4.5 pound striker spring resulted in a 3.5 pound pull.

Now, when I pull the trigger, the muzzle does not move which should translate into much better control on my part when live firing.

Hoping to get to the range tomorrow and run it through the paces again.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds like you have been keeping busy. Yes been quiet for a long time as the forum was broken for many months when you could not start new posts.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
W.Brown

Post by W.Brown »

I take my P-64 to the range and carry it. Hornady makes defensive ammo for 9x18 and there are a lot of vendors that make reloading components for the caliber.
It carries easily and is VERY ACCURATE!
Great gun.
Walter
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Glad it's working for ya, been carrying mine for 18 years!!
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

W.Brown wrote: January 20th, 2024, 10:58 am I take my P-64 to the range and carry it. Hornady makes defensive ammo for 9x18 and there are a lot of vendors that make reloading components for the caliber.
It carries easily and is VERY ACCURATE!
Great gun.
Walter
I too, carry a P-64 occasionally and keep it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. Found a couple of holsters that work well for IWB or pocket carry which work best for me.

For the range, I usually run Berry's plated bullets. As long as you do not over-crimp them, they work quite well. Too much crimp and they will fly apart as they exit the barrel and produce patterns on the target. I learned that with my first batch. :oops:

The best brass I have found for reloading is Red Army Elite. It is Boxer primed and does not bulge when fired in the P-64 like a lot of brass does. I still have a moderate stash of the ammo which serves as my reserve brass supply. Converting fired 9mm brass is easy to do and can be collected at most ranges.

I attribute the above average accuracy to the fixed barrel, and tight tolerances of these pistols. All but one of mine(a cut-away, marked "SZKOLNA"(SCHOOL)) has been test fired and is surprisingly accurate.