differences between pre 72 and post 72?

Info, pictures, advice...
matt85

differences between pre 72 and post 72?

Post by matt85 »

Hello all, I've decided to pick up a p-64 largely because I love the look of this classic pistols as well as the small size. ive been shopping around looking for good deals on pistols in decent condition and have noticed some differences between the pistols made before and after 1972.

aside from the different hammer shape, what are the differences between the pistols made pre 72 and post 72?

thank you!
-Matt
PA-Joe

Re: differences between pre 72 and post 72?

Post by PA-Joe »

They have different mags. The post will work with the pre and the pre will not work with the post.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Matt.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

PA-Joe wrote:They have different mags. The post will work with the pre and the pre will not work with the post.
You might want to make that "might not work" as I have a few P64s and when I and my 2 granddudes have P64 day at the range, the mags get mixed up. I have them marked for the specific gun but we don't worry much about it. I have NOT had a problem with mixing mags by year.

Can it NOT work? I guess so and some have said as much. Have I had problems? No and I don't and won't worry about mixing mags until a problem occurs....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

Put it this way: They WILL stovepipe and FTE at some point. Usually when it's MOST unexpected and inconvenient.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

the other deference is the round hammer has a longer firing pin , , not much more like 2 tenths of mm

and never ever had any trouble with factory mags , I own 6 P64's 3 round hammers and 3 triangular hammers
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

What are the differences in the mags? My '69 was missing one of the two promised mags and one from a '75 was subbed by the clerk. I did not see any difference, it fit and looked good to my eyes.

I did notice at the range last week that the one one mag I tried did not reliably lock open when empty. Is this a "wrong mag" issue?
Vintage Paul, Fullerton, CA

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure . . .
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I didn't think there was is any difference in original mags , until keep shooting came out with theirs ,about the some time people started saying that there was a difference between the old and the new version , none of the 6 P64's and the 12 mages I have are different

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

First post, I guess I have a small bit of information which is related. My P-64 came with two mags like many others, one magazine matches my P-64 the other does not. The one that does not match has a bigger lip in length by around a centimeter while also covering more the the bullet casing. The serial number is 10152 and there is a small o etched into the top section of the magazine. That is all I can provide and I have no explanation for it.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Zenon
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary